Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging step buy step required  (Read 2317 times)

Imafluffybunny

• Joined Aug 2014
Tagging step buy step required
« on: June 29, 2015, 09:50:38 pm »
We have Ryeland sheep and bred our first pedigree lambs this year since the new tagging rules.
Can someone please give me a simple breakdown of what I need to do?
I know the basic tags with the UK numbers but where do the individual numbers and flock book numbers come in?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Tagging step buy step required
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:17:19 am »
Your sheep need two tags.  Normally they come with your flock number, e.g UK 123456, on one side and an individual number on the other, starting from 0001.  We put the yellow tag in the left ear and the other colour (your choice) in the right ear.  Make sure you position the tag entry point into the soft tissue of the ear and not into cartilage (which you'll feel as hard lines along the ear).  You'll need a set of taggers specific to your chosen tags. Some are better than others - we use Allflex.  We tag all our lambs at the same time, before the first store ram lambs go to market.  They need to be done by the end of the year of their birth in any case.  If you have a kindly farmer neighbour maybe he'd show you how to do it the first time around.  Further identification depends on which breed of sheep you keep and whether they're pedigree.  The breed society should be able to give you guidance on this.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:25:41 am »
They only need 1 yellow electronic tag if slaughtered in their first year of life.

If used for breeding or slaughtered after 12 months old they need the yellow tag plus a non eid tag as marches farmer says.

If they are ewes or rams that have been brought onto your holding and need re tagging for whatever reason, they need double (1 eid, 1 non eid) red tags to show they have your flock number but this was not their place of birth.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:15:02 am »
We have Ryeland sheep and bred our first pedigree lambs this year since the new tagging rules.
Can someone please give me a simple breakdown of what I need to do?
I know the basic tags with the UK numbers but where do the individual numbers and flock book numbers come in?
Are you on facebook? someone posted the layout of Ryeland tags on there a couple of weks ago
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:23:59 am »
Just found this on facebook for you

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:37:45 am »
They only need 1 yellow electronic tag if slaughtered in their first year of life.
Our market will only accept double-tagged now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS