Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poodle crosses - when can you tell if they are (not) shedders  (Read 3121 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
So, if someone had a litter of poodles cross something-that-sheds, at what point and how can one tell if each pup is a shedder or not?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Poodle crosses - when can you tell if they are (not) shedders
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:12:47 pm »
I don't know for sure but I'd imagine it would be when the adult coat starts to develop then some shedding will begin from the shedder type coats, around 4 months old.
Statistically there is only one in four pups from poodle crosses likely to be a non shedder. ( unless they come from the line bred from Australia which has been developed over generations as non-moulting.

It may be worth whoever is considering g the cross to also read this   :thinking:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201404/designer-dog-maker-regrets-his-creation

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 10:36:22 pm »
I don't know for sure but I'd imagine it would be when the adult coat starts to develop then some shedding will begin from the shedder type coats, around 4 months old.
Statistically there is only one in four pups from poodle crosses likely to be a non shedder. ( unless they come from the line bred from Australia which has been developed over generations as non-moulting.

It may be worth whoever is considering g the cross to also read this   :thinking:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201404/designer-dog-maker-regrets-his-creation
Even some of the Australian 'doodles shed.  I have a friend who has two aussie girls - one 3 the other 1 - both shed.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:33:05 pm »
I would say when they are adults you will know for sure, there as so many variations in poodle crosses coats that you just don't know what they will end up like.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:41:44 pm »
I'd agree that you can't tell until the adult coat has come through - so buying a doodle of any kind as a hypoallergenic pet is just hoo ha! 50/50 chance! :innocent:

Also with mongrels and crosses you have no idea what size they will be, nor what temperament.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 01:50:02 pm »
Thanks folks.

Done some more reading.  I think I've used good sources, but please do correct me if I have any of this wrong.

It’s not wool, it’s fur. And it’s not hypoallergenic per se. What is it, is that poodles shed less, due to the hairs having a longer growing period and being curly, which factors combine to trap shed hair in the coat, and dander along with it.

But the coat needs combing frequently or the hairs which have shed and are trapped will start to matt, and then you have a welfare issue.

That last bothers me more than anything regarding the proliferation of poodle crosses.  If people don't realise that the coat needs frequent care, then how many of these lovely dogs are going to end up matted and uncomfortable?

Meanwhile, I discovered a cut for a regular poodle that I really love.  It's off the Wiki poodle page
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 03:12:22 pm »
Because doodles are being bred for money - conning people into thinking they are hypoallergenic when only some of them are.  It's the dander that causes allergies in a lot of cases anyway rather than the hair.
Labradors are not HA, nor are cockers. 

Poodles don't shed, they have to be trimmed'

Labs shed - like crazy!!!!!!

You pays your money and you takes your chance!  :innocent:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 03:21:17 pm »
This all reminds me of the handbag dogs, then the micropigs.....  Some people made a lot of money and a lot of animals had a pretty miserable life.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 07:18:42 pm »
I have a poodle cross - just not entirely sure what else is in the mix. She sheds endlessly. I think it is just pot luck. I just love the dog I have and the hair balls I just live with.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS