Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Marriages with flubenvet, how many can you get away with?  (Read 5406 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Marriages with flubenvet, how many can you get away with?
« on: June 29, 2015, 06:42:28 pm »
Need to worm the birds as have a few mucky bums and reckon I need 5 bags (100kg) to make sure they all get the full 10 days. I've ordered before in smaller qty's but wondering if they are going to say I need to go to a vet for this amount or something?

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Marriages with flubenvet, how many can you get away with?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 06:50:27 pm »
Surely they won't even ask since its all profit for them?!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:18:49 pm »
I think you will be OK. 5 bags isn't that many. Could you tell them you are ordering for a friend as well?
Is it time to retire yet?

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:39:19 pm »
If they query the amount tell them how many birds you have to treat, should be ok.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:06:52 pm »
You only need to worm for 7 days and exclude everything else, including free ranging. It equates to 1 Kg per bird.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 08:13:32 pm »
If you need that much feed, surely it would be cheaper to buy the powder and mix it up yourself?

It's not too hard - just work out how much powder you need and mix that by hand into a bucket of feed. Then get a friend to mix that bucket full into a feed bin as you add the main bulk of the feed simultaneously. It's hard to mix a big bin of course, but if you're able to transfer it  from bin to bin and mix as you go, it should all get evenly distributed?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:01:45 pm »
I might save a few pounds doing that but it's not a huge amount dearer than my normal feed and it's all mixed and job done so worth it for me to avoid the hassle. I suppose the worst they can do is refuse the order.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:03:57 pm »
It is not possible to buy flubenvet1% at the moment, there is a manufacturing problem. Treated pellets seems to be the only option at present.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:44:50 pm »
Fair enough then!  Whenever I've looked at it, the treated pellets were always way more expensive than the normal ones. You're right, pre-mixed does save some hassle, and I can't see why they wouldn't sell it to you?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 12:58:19 am »
I asked my feed supplier to order me in a bag of the premixed flubenvet but she told me she couldn't get it without prescription  ???
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 01:27:14 am »
I just got a bag from https://www.greenscountrystore.co.uk/ without a prescription -- they just had me fill out a form with my holding information, number of birds to be dosed, etc.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 05:26:56 am »
Flubenvet powder won't be available in the stores until October because there is a manufacturing problem I have been advised. I was also told that Marriages have run out so best buy what's left of their premix feed quickly.

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 06:09:13 am »
I bought 5 bags a few weeks ago no probs. the only call we got was the polite lady just checking we had ordered the right amount as she thought that we had rather a lot of birds, she is right, we do!

I think the company is farmsandpetplace.co.uk. But Google can find it. Seemed one of the most competitively priced and came the next day or so. I ordered pelets due to lack of powder supply that Chris informed us of on another thread. Some of miy fowl are completely free range, like the geese with only God's ceiling over the heads so I don't know how effective it's been?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 08:41:44 am »
Great, thanks all, better get it ordered.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 03:57:58 pm »
technically it is a prescription product but I found that the online store just phoned me, asked if Id used it before and told me exactly how to use it when I said I was a first time user. The customer service lady was very helpful and I got my delivery next day.
I expect Marriages have run out because of the absence of 1% Flubenvet but Im going to stick with Marriages anyway as I am dosing quite small numbers
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS