Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nervous wreck  (Read 10242 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Nervous wreck
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 09:49:08 pm »

I would leave her vulva alone. She has had the antibiotics and the metacam that will help with the inflammation. I think any sprays or powder will just irritate it and her. If it gets soiled with faeces or bedding I would just very gently wash it with warm water with no soap or anything else.

See you tomorrow.
[/quote

Yes nothing but maybe gentle wash if necessary.- give her more metacam (my vet uses flunixin) if she needs it - also lots of willow branches - good natural painkiller. Hope she picks up - is she moving about and gets up/down easily?

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 10:39:20 am »
I'm so sorry for you on the unhappy outcome, sadly and unfortunately it does happen sometimes :( .
I hope your goat recovers ok, I'm sure she'll appreciate the caring attention your'e giving her, :fc:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 02:46:32 pm »
Thanks, Cosmore. She is a bit brighter today. I think the lower temperature must help as well. She's still not interested in her usual ration but had a good chomp of the fuschia bush that I usually chase her away from after milking this morning. I pruned the roses and she went mad for the prunings. She is also very keen to eat ginger nut bisuits and horse treats so I'm not worried about her. Beeduced came to give her the second a/b jab. My vet also rang this morning to see how she is and to say that he is on duty over the weekend as well as the rest of this week if I'm concerned. He really is a good vet.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 05:32:06 pm »
Sounds that she is improving.

She should not have a full ration straight after kidding anyway, slowly re-introduce concentrates, but feed shreds and other high fibre stuff and give a bit more of concentrate every day until she's up to her normal amount (for a goat in-milk) about two weeks post-kidding.

Carrots, bananas, some cabbage will probably all be appreciated.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 07:12:31 pm »
She did look better today.
I should have thought and cut her a load of willow before I set off today. Its like a weed round here and the goats love it but most of it is right next to my new cherry tree which they love more so they have to wait until I can cut it for them.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 11:48:23 pm »
If I'd realised you had willow I would have said something. I've chopped some buddleia for her this afternoon as well but willow is a painkiller, isn't it?

I forgot to ask you for some eggs as well. ::)

Pom is much perkier today and the soreness is nearly gone. Just wish I could stop Caldi from trying to play. Poor girl had hoof marks down her side. Not what she wants with a sore middle.

Thanks again for your help.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 01:16:12 am »
Good to hear Pom is feeling better.  Willow if you can find some - down by a river is a good place to look -  is very good for sick goats, or any goats for that matter.  Ours will strip the branches of the bark as well as eat the leaves. 

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 11:17:23 am »
Glad to hear things are slowly improving. My herd always loved Elm browsings, they all went mad for it, stripped off all the leaves, stripped the bark and chewed the twigs right back. I gathered young branches as much as I could carry, about 3 or 4 feet long and tied the branches in a huge bundle with baling twine (what else? ;D ) and hung it up on a post or fence - all I was left with would barely make a besom broom!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 10:13:46 pm »
She seemed back to normal today so the antibiotics must be working. She's been cudding most of the day and coming to the gate to talk to me.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 11:25:27 pm »
Bless her, I'm glad she's feeling better.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 12:34:32 am »
Thanks, DL and everyone else. So am I. I thought for a bit that I might lose her.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 02:56:45 pm »
She seemed back to normal today so the antibiotics must be working. She's been cudding most of the day and coming to the gate to talk to me.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:   Good news !

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 06:46:19 pm »
 :excited:
So glad she's  OK!! :hug:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 11:40:14 pm »
Thanks, everyone. Her milk yield is going up as well. The dogs are enjoying it as we can't have it due to the A/Bs. Roll on Thursday when the seven days is up.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 06:18:29 pm »
 :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS