Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nervous wreck  (Read 10221 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Nervous wreck
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:45:16 pm »
My goat was due to kid yesterday and I'm spending most of my time checking her. Fortunately, the goat year and shed are just by the house so I can see without having to go out every time. She's fed up with me checking her ligaments, which seem a bit softer, and her udder and vulva which don't look any different.

I know a lot of you have already been through it so what are your hints for staying sane?  :thinking: :tired:

The last two kiddings resulted in a vet's visit so I am worried that she will have problems and I will miss it until it's too late. Wish she'd hurry up.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Nervous wreck
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:47:02 pm »
 :fc: it all goes well,
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:04:22 pm »
When you think her udder can't get any bigger without popping, wait two more weeks,
finally decide it won't be tonight so you may as well sleep till 5am, then you'll get up to find she's liking the second clean with no problems at all.

Hope you don't have to wait too long and it all goes smoothly. :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:04:56 pm »
Camera. For me the only way to stay sane (and get at least some sleep) at kidding time.

The other thing I found is helpful is to take them on walks in the last few days beforehand, just keeps the exercise going and helps getting the kids into the right position.

:fc:, at least the vets (or you) won't get stuck in snow drifts at this time of year...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 11:56:54 pm »
When you think her udder can't get any bigger without popping, wait two more weeks,
finally decide it won't be tonight so you may as well sleep till 5am, then you'll get up to find she's liking the second clean with no problems at all.

Her due date was definitely yesterday. With her last one I had to take milk off her a few times during the week before she was due. I think she was a bit late then but not by much. I think I would be easier in my mind if Curry hadn't come head first and then Cloud's first was breech and still born and the second one well and truly stuck. A friend who used to breed B. Saanens told me that the breed is known for having problem kiddings and that she nearly always had to get the vet out.

I suspect I'll be up and down during the night again tonight. At least I only need to look out the bedroom window to check on her and I have left the outside light on.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 12:03:30 am »
let us know how she's getting on, my kidding starts in 4 weeks, its late but I'm glad we left it later this year with the appalling weather we've been having.
You can bet your last polo she'll have it the minute you aren't looking  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:40:53 am »
Both my goats shouted their heads off before they started kidding

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 10:46:24 am »
I hope I'm not 'teaching my grandmother to suck eggs', but I hope the following will give you some peace of mind. :)
The usual signs of imminent kidding is when the goat gets restless, gettting up and down without settling, pawing the ground, turning her head and 'talking' to her sides. Obviously prior to that her udder will have filled up dramatically, her pelvic bones will become 'loose' so as to be able to permit expansion for the passage of the kid/s. It's not unusual for goats to delay kidding, they will kid when they think it's right - no matter when your calculated kidding date is! Of course regular observation is necessary, in case of too many days after the nominal kidding date and or prolonged efforts at giving birth which indicates difficulties giving birth - i.e. breech presentation, leg/s back, head back etc,. (I have had to deal with quite a few of these problems over the years from 15 Swiss breed showing and milking herd).
However, there mostly are no problems at all, just check the goat regularly and calmly without getting too stressed, the goat may pick up on your anxiety and become nervous herself.
One thing I always did after the kid/s had been born and dried off and the umbilical cord treated with antiseptic was to ensure that the kid/s suckled to get the important colostrum from their mother. After some hours I introduced them to the bottle (containing mothers milk), so they accepted the bottle readily and without problems, just in case there were any problems with their mother - it only happened to me once where the mother died and I was left with two orphaned kids - happily they not only survived on the bottle (using only natural goats milk from the herd - not commercial milk replacer) but they grew up well and won prizes!
I'm sure all will go well for you, just be patient and observant, look forward to hearing good news! :fc: :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 10:22:44 pm »
Thanks, Cosmore. She is very restless tonight but has still not properly bagged up. The ligaments are soft though so I think it could be soon. She would pick after dark to do it though. My outside light doesn't shine directly into the shed so, if there are problems, we have to quickly rig up a temporary light which involves an extension cable and a desk lamp.

The iodine spray, antibacterial hand gel and colostrum are ready just in case, as is a jar of molasses for her for afterwards.

Wish she'd hurry up. My nerves can't take much more. I'm even more restless than she is.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 11:06:41 pm »
Not be of mine has shown any classic signs! They most I got was they would call to me, there vulvas looked more swollen, I'd go to fetch the hay or get a cuppa and next time I looked there would be a set of twins or triplets!

Got one due any time whose udder is fit to burst but she doesn't look particularly low and I wouldn't say ligaments are as slack as on others. Would have helped if original owners had raddled my billy when i asked. Grrrr

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 04:51:10 pm »
She had another difficult birth resulting in a dead female. It was upside down and with one leg back and had to be hauled out with a rope. The vet said that it's worth trying her again but call him out soon after she starts pushing.

So glad that Beeducked was with me to help.

Just waiting for Pom to get up now. She has had a shot of painkiller and one of antibiotic and is exhausted, poor girl, but has had some soaked sugar beet and molasses water together with a few leaves, so should be alright.

Feeling sad.  :'(

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 05:07:12 pm »
 :hug: so sorry to hear this, look after yourself  :hug:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 05:24:37 pm »
Oh that's so sad. Let's hope she picks up, even though no baby.

If this was the second time she has had a difficult birth, maybe not so good to kid her again...

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 05:28:02 pm »
Ohh no, sorry to hear this, am gutted for you :(
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Whittsend

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 05:28:33 pm »

After all your care and concern that is a  a really sad outcome, for you and poor Pom.
I hope that she recovers as quickly as possible.

Sending heartfelt encouragement to you,
take care,
 Whittsend xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS