Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hayzip with crack- still OK to use?  (Read 2474 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Hayzip with crack- still OK to use?
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:22:13 pm »
Hi- I have a Lely hayzip that has a crack on one side about 6" from the top link. Any thoughts on whether it will still be OK to use or should I get it welded before it gets any worse?
Thanks

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Hayzip with crack- still OK to use?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:51:43 pm »
get it welded , with the amount of vibration and stress the crack could develop ,just at the wrong time. A cheap fix now ........

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 12:05:55 pm »
Hi- thanks for that. Do you think that this ARC welder would do the job OK? Or am I looking for something chunkier?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im-arc140-10-115-140a-arc-welder-240v/17497

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 01:43:19 pm »
I have an SIP140 which welds well at 3 mm thicknesses. But if you haven't had a lot of welding experience I wouldn't advise you tackle the repair. Arc welding leaves a weakness either side of the weld anyway and you would be best strapping plates across the crack (once welded) to increase the inherent strength of the component, which clearly wasn't strong enough for the job in the first place.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:41:27 pm »
DIY would be ok for first aid to stop the crack , but I let the blacksmith do proper repairs he will have an industrial MIG welder and be able to produce a weld with root and decent penetration probably stronger than the parent metal and be quicker than You or I can ever hope to be. Even the mobile welder type chaps will be a good option.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:15:37 pm »
Hi all- thanks for your thoughts. I am talking to a few other folks about welding and one asked if the  construction was cast iron? To that I could not reply. Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:37:32 pm »
It won't be cast.  Get the repair done as soon as you can, easier than before it breaks,  even a small welder would do it, but as said a patch to strengthen it is the ideal solution.  See your other thread for reasons why they break at this point.   Use with care and enjoy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS