Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay making protocol?  (Read 8251 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Hay making protocol?
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:12:09 pm »
Hi all- I am getting ready to make my first hay on about 4 acres! Is it possible to still make good hay if turning can only be carried out before 9am and after 5pm? (day job!). Or is it ideal to wait for the dew to burn off each morning? (in which case I could take a string of half days off work).  Also does anyone have a good protocol for carrying out all the different tasks- assuming weather holds fine (I have disc mower, hayzip and conventional baler- which I hope all work!).

Thanks!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Hay making protocol?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:08:37 pm »
I used to be in this situation at hay time,
I used to cut just after midday so standing grass was dry and not drawing moisture, then let it wilt for the next morning and spread it as soon as I was back home at lunch time , I too took half days ,next day turn it over ,and now you are in the lap of the Gods depending on how its drying, if there is a good dry breeze I would chance making a tall row to lift it in to the airflow and minimize  ground contact. If no breeze to speak of then its turn and spread and let the sun do the work. Now the dilemma, when is it dry enough as you cant keep turning it as it gets dryer and brittle the hay breaks up ( shatters) but you cant have it too damp or you run the risk of mould, I used to feel it smell it and if it would just light with a match then its rowing up time and in with the baler.
Once baled dont stack it too tight, keep an eye on it make sure it not getting hot, a little heat is OK.
Thats my way , but there as many ways as there are haymakers 
Good luck , trust your judgement and not the met office  :raining:
Rupert the bear
And now you see why I make haylage  :relief:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:12:07 pm »
The man that's done mine the last two years and unfortunately can't this year, works fulltime and managed to do it over a weekend.
cut after work thursday and leave to wilt,
turn after work friday
late morning and afternoon saturday
mid morning sunday
row up after lunch sunday, bale and in the barn before bedtime.

last year it was in the barn by 24th June, the lasted I've had was end of July.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:15:53 pm »
I have the same time constraints...just turn each evening when you get home from work.

An old farmer once told me...when you think it's ready leave it another day.!

Try to aim to bale at the weekend (or have an afternoon off) as you will need more time, 3 operations to do, row up, bale and cart in....line up as much help as you can....if you can have a team with a trailer to start leading bales as soon as the first bale drops out of the back of the baler it's a great help.......then ideally with one row left to go as the baler driver you need to fake a break down....whilst the team crack on with clearing the bales ....just get a couple of spanners and sit near the fly wheel muttering stuff about shear bolts. Start baling again when the bale clearing has caught up with you !

Have you an operators manual for your baler....and someone who's knows there stuff to give you a guiding hand ?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:34:40 pm »
I have the same time constraints...just turn each evening when you get home from work.

An old farmer once told me...when you think it's ready leave it another day.!

Try to aim to bale at the weekend (or have an afternoon off) as you will need more time, 3 operations to do, row up, bale and cart in....line up as much help as you can....if you can have a team with a trailer to start leading bales as soon as the first bale drops out of the back of the baler it's a great help.......then ideally with one row left to go as the baler driver you need to fake a break down....whilst the team crack on with clearing the bales ....just get a couple of spanners and sit near the fly wheel muttering stuff about shear bolts. Start baling again when the bale clearing has caught up with you !

Have you an operators manual for your baler....and someone who's knows there stuff to give you a guiding hand ?

Ha Ha   I like your style  have a like

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 09:54:47 pm »
Hi all- thanks a lot for that *really* helpful advice... Stu- yes I have some old(ish) farmer neighbours who have used all this old kit so I'm sure I can get them to watch my 1st attempts (and I do have the operators manual and You Tube  :relief:).
cheers

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:26:21 pm »
If the days are really hot you can turn twice in the day by getting up early and turning before you go to work, then turning again immediately you get home.

I cut my field yesterday evening, I have turned it out this evening.

Have you got the hay zip fixed ?   What causes this is either turning too sharp (or the wrong way)without lifting the machine , or lifting at the end of the row and turning to fast,  the machine swings violently to the side with the momentum, then stops suddenly as the check chains reach their limit.

I think I'm right in saying that hay zips are designed to turn one way only (when not lifting before turning)

Ref shear bolts...you will almost certainly need some, buy a packet at your local agricultural dealer or on eBay.
What kind of baler have you bought....and what mower ? How's that 135 have you mastered it ?
Cheers. Stu
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:31:22 pm by stufe35 »

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 11:31:35 am »
If the days are really hot you can turn twice in the day by getting up early and turning before you go to work
Don't turn it early in the morning, you will just bury the dew (even if it's hot there is still a high chance that the sun hasn't caught all the dew yet).  Turn in the evenings.  And at lunchtime at the weekend.
Oh and cut in the evening, as there will be the highest sugar content then, and it'll be dry.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 12:22:55 pm »
Saw a report in Farmers Guardian last year that turning an hour after mowing will speed things up considerably.  Pick up the grass next to the ground and hold it against your cheek - if it feels damp it's not made.  If you can borrow a bale sledge it saves lots of time.  Do you have pallets to stack the bales on?  Lots of cold drinks ready in the fridge?  Enough baler twine?  Fly repellent (magnet for horse flies)? 

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 10:27:06 pm »
Foo bars point about dew is a good one....I have successfully done this though when the days are really hot, as the dew has burned off by 6.00am, turn until 7 then off to work.

The value of getting wet green grass to the top can out weigh the little bit of dew you bury.

Cutting in full sunshine towards the end of the day as foobar says maximises
sugar content.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:29:56 pm by stufe35 »

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 10:46:42 pm »
...Hi Stu- yes just about getting the hang of the 135. Although something a bit bigger and 4WD would be better! I picked up a finger bar mower for £40 (!) which works really well as make-do topper and has given me some practice. The hayzip isn't fixed yet- but will do that before using. Good advice re. managing my hay cut from you all. I'm planning on stacking outside on pallets. I'll keep you posted when I do cut... probably not this week as our builders have blocked me in with their skips... long story!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 09:06:43 am »
Just a reminder to watch out for the wildlife. I've still got a few broods of pheasant chicks I;m seeing and leverets young enough to stay hiding.
In my case a local farmer takes my hay in exchange for keeping the roadside hedges and tres tidy and generally being about if I get into trouble (tows my tractor out fo thr swamp most years, tops the steeper bracken sides etc) But he'll have to wait  while longer for the cut.. lots of wildflowers in ym meadows and dozens (if not hundreds) of early purple orchids just coming into full flower.
Last year he got 136 large rounds and several hundred squares off my flat enough bits. there'd be at least half as much again of the slopes were workable without bales running away.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 09:46:54 pm »
You should not make round bales on steep fields where there is a risk of the bales rolling out of control. People have been killed by runaway round bales.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 10:24:19 pm »
You should not make round bales on steep fields where there is a risk of the bales rolling out of control. People have been killed by runaway round bales.

exactly why they're not worked.
should have read 'if' the slopes...

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 08:21:19 am »
Well a massive thunderstorm yesterday afternoon thoroughly soaked my cut hay...no panic at present, but the forecast now looks less settled ...ho hum.  I think Friday was the earliest it would have baled now we are looking beyond that and there is definite rain Saturday.

On the up side I progressed painting the steelwork for my new shed...so we are a step nearer to having a shed to put the hay in !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS