Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whoops ..... I dropped it!  (Read 3480 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Whoops ..... I dropped it!
« on: June 28, 2015, 07:27:47 pm »
Disaster!

We had an 'unplanned' broody sitting on eggs. We lost the hen and found her sitting on a clutch of eleven eggs, out on the lane, in the hedgerow. Moved mum and clutch into the stock trailer ... the only safe place we had available. She is a bit 'dopey'. An araucana x Friesian x Pekin. A very 'strange looking little hen but lays lovely little blue eggs. Determined to sit her clutch but pooping on the eggs and so we have been taking her off for food, water, to empty herself and for us to clean any dirty eggs.

I'm always really careful and well aware of the possibility of eggs getting stuck to the broody. Horrified after lifting her off the nest on Monday to hear a 'crack'! Looked down and there was the egg ..... cracked on the trailer floor! :( :dunce:  The round end of the egg was cracked all over .... like you had tapped it all over with a spoon. Part of the shell was missing in a couple of places but the membrane pretty much intact. Few drops of blood seeping through the shell.  :o :'(

Remembered that my daughter had talked about an article she had read about people 'gluing' cracked hatching eggs and dashed indoors. Hubbie applied a generous layer of super glue.  :o Popped egg back under mum, thinking that would be that and I had killed the chick.  :'( Felt really guilty.  Tuesday ... the egg did not look good and was squashed quite flat but daughter runs in really excited ..... the egg was cheeping!  Wednesday ... lifted hen off to find 4 chicks and the cracked egg now really squashed but with a leg and wing sticking out but the membrane dry, hard and of course 'super-glued'!!!!!  Another dash indoors and hubbie picked the poor thing out. Chick looked exhausted and tummy not completely sealed but not bleeding.  Feared the worst but popped back under mum .... sooner it die there than alone in a brooder.

Sunday ...... Chick alive and kicking and can't distinguish from the rest.   :excited: ;D

Life triumphs against the odds.   Sorry for the long story but wanted to share the happy ending. ;D  :chook:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Whoops ..... I dropped it!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:07:48 pm »
Excellent always good to hear a happy ending :hug:l

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:45:23 pm »
Brilliant! What a wonderful account of determination to make the best of things. :)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:53:50 pm »
wow well done you  :relief:

just goes to show with some ingenuity and luck it can turn out fine  :hug:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 12:42:24 am »
Lovely story!  :sunshine:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 01:27:33 am »
Thats Great  :thumbsup:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 06:59:57 am »
I would have given it up for lost but :thumbsup:. Well done

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 10:38:14 am »
Well you are dong better than some of us....I have 24 eggs in incubator on day 20 and NONE has pipped.... looks like another wasted hatch (already my goose eggs were all infertile, but this is chickens with a young cockerel...)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 10:51:50 am »
Humidity very high here and just had a hatch a day late and spread over two and a half days.  Mostly OK but six late death in shell and not reabsorbed the yolk sac.  Bought in eggs so suspect genetic problem or insufficient diet for parent stock. 

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 01:33:28 pm »
Was feeling a bit miserable today. Now though, not so much.

Thanks In the Hills

:thumbsup:)
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 11:30:39 am »
Glad it cheered you up, Bex.

All 8 chicks looking well at a week old.  :fc:  Now hoping they are all hens. ::) ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 09:42:04 pm »
Well you are dong better than some of us....I have 24 eggs in incubator on day 20 and NONE has pipped.... looks like another wasted hatch (already my goose eggs were all infertile, but this is chickens with a young cockerel...)

Humidity very high here and just had a hatch a day late and spread over two and a half days.  Mostly OK but six late death in shell and not reabsorbed the yolk sac.  Bought in eggs so suspect genetic problem or insufficient diet for parent stock. 

Just exactly the same thing happened! None had pipped by morning of day 22, then 6 hatched on that day, and a further 12 over the next two days. Just checked the remiaing 6 eggs and 4 "dead in shell" and two not fertile... OH had to help a few of the later hatchlings, but all 18 (out of 24) are doing well. Now I just have to find an explanation to 17 black chicks and ONE white/yellow one... (parents are all Copper Maran descendants and black).

Mine were homebred hens and the cockerel came from Fleecewife, so no inbreeding likely.

But anyway, I am happy tonight!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS