Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can you make curry powder without chilli/cayenne? - update  (Read 9570 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Can you make curry powder without chilli/cayenne? - update
« on: June 28, 2015, 01:40:29 pm »
I have a friend coming to stay who is allergic to chilli, paprika, cayenne pepper. I was thinking of making a curry but it seems that all curry powders contain at least one of the above.

If I made my own and left them out would it ruin it?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:49:45 pm by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Can you make curry powder without chilli/cayenne?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 03:00:46 pm »
We are not into chilli or cayenne as well , for we see no point in making your eyes run , your nose drip on the plate & your lips go numb in the name of enjoyment of your food ..

Alison makes a flavour of curry  using vegetable ,chicken fish or beef stock  .
 Meats we use it with are chicken ,beef, pork, lamb /mutton or goat occasionally fish cubes such as conger eel if I've caught one

Recipe ....
Two or three teaspoons  or more of korma curry powder heated & stirred in a little oil in the frying pan till it thickens ..take it out put it on a saucer ( most korma powders are free of your forbidden spices )

Now do :-
Fine chopped fried onion & a stick of fried fine chopped celery using a fat, veg  or olive oil .
add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
add 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
add your home made curry paste ,dilute & stir it in with the stock,  simmer for 5 min
add One heaped table spoon of fresh grated ginger.

A big pinch of coriander powder or a dozen or so chopped fresh leaves
garlic salt

2 or 3 crushed cardamon seeds , occasionally a crushed clove in with the cardamon that are tied up in muslin
 Slow cook for an hour or more either in a cast iron casserole on the hob or if we are making a big batch so we can have some for the freezer we'll use the 15 litre slow cooker

Depending on what we want it can either be a Korma , a normal plain meat curry or meat & fruit such as apple or raisins and tangerines .

Occasionally 1/4 to 1/2 of a teaspoon of the Universal Seasoning salt...... Polish seasoning salt( from  Aldi /Lidl or any decent Polish  food shop or supermarket section .
 It  has dried grated mixed veg in it as well, this really brings most non korma curries a depth of taste that we find nice .
 Brand  name MIKADO   titled  Pryzprawn Uniwersalana

The curry base is also used to make a Jalafreeze ( sp? ) with slow cooked meat & tomatoes .  meat methi ( meat & fresh coriander ) , Sag Aloo ..potato cubes  lightly fried first , then slow cooked in the sauce& add fresh or canned spinach

Occasionally a couple freshly ground black peppercorns as well.

Most curries are best made one day and eaten the next after a proper reheating and adding more cornflour or a Bisto thick gravy type thickening ( Bisto can also makes things a  bit salty )  if you need it .
Occasionally we let things simmer on a very very low heat a lot longer in the open casserole to reduce the liquid if the taste is as we want it .

Sometimes we also put a packet of chicken & veg cuppa soup in on the final day  if we feel things need a more rounded taste.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:15:04 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:18:54 pm »
That sounds delicious, but very complicated.  If I want a cool Indian cuisine type meal, I just add the kinds of spices you've suggested clodhopper to the oil before searing the meat, stir and cook together briefly to bring out the flavour, then proceed as usual.
I think we tend to think of curry as hot, but it just really means spicy, whatever spices you choose.

Bionic - you could invent a new dish - 'cool Bionic curry' :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:51:21 pm »
Thanks both for your answers. I will use the spices suggested but do Fleecewife's method.
I am going to give it a try before my friend arrives later this month so that I don't give her a dud meal  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 01:52:13 am »
Thanks both for your answers. I will use the spices suggested but do Fleecewife's method.
I am going to give it a try before my friend arrives later this month so that I don't give her a dud meal  :)

Good idea, that  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 09:05:55 am »
It's a British invention having curries that burn your mouth off!
I spent 6 weeks living with a family in the south of India (Madras country), and never once did anything taste 'hot'. They were full of flavour without burning your mouth.
There are multiple recipes available including online that have not got the spices you mentioned, but any sort of combination of the spices listed by cloddopper should make a very tasty dish.
I used to always make my curries by feel - on different days I would add different amounts of the different spices listed, by smell and what I liked the smell of more on that day, and added to a base of meat, veg that you like (I would usually use onion and peppers) and a tin of tomatoes for juice and flavour.
I'm sure you'll make something lovely :)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 05:44:39 pm »
I never had a gob & bum burner curry in the UK till about 1978 when the quality of the curry houses took a massive dive .  My thoughts are that it was the crafty owners trying to disguise the poor quality of there redesigned dishes & foisting them off on the ignorant customers.

Here in Ammanford one of the local curry outlets has stated diluting the korma curry to a carrot and coriander watery soup consistency and it also tastes YUK!

Another so called restaurant refuses to tell you what meat is in the curry ,but from experience it's either  goat or horse meat as the fibres are long , strong and rubbery . The curry is this sort of meat with a thin curry sauce poured over it whichb is full of white pepper and chilli oil .

We now only go to curry houses & Chinese nosh shops  where we know the Asians & Chinese in the locality also go .Otherwise we make them ourselves at home.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »
Well that sounds like I won't be eating Indian in Ammanford then  ;D

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:17:30 am »
try a malay curry with the chilli swapped out for 'ordinary' pepper.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19844/malaysian+chicken+curry
For side dishes add shredded lettuce and shredded omelette and chopped chives. Add an extra dish of stewed chilli for the hardcore folk to add.- the tiniest ones you can find just chopped (seeds and all) and sweated down... with some lime wedges for anyone who overdoes it.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 12:33:00 am »
Well that sounds like I won't be eating Indian in Ammanford then  ;D
[/quote

Ya gotta catch them first & the local ones don't half run fast . ;)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: Can you make curry powder without chilli/cayenne? - update
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 05:52:35 pm »
Well, I made my own curry powder -
Ground coriander
Ground cardamom
Ground cumin
Ground ginger
Ground mustard
Ground cloves
Ground fenugreek
Turmeric

I thought it wasn't half bad. OH wanted his chilli fix though so he had some chilli flakes on his afterwards.
Without it it made a very passable curry though so I will definitely be able to make it for my friend when she arrives in a couple of weeks time.  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 08:28:08 pm »
Thanks for the update, Sally - sounds lovely.  BH complains that the top of his head sweats when I put too much chilli in the food, so I shall try your mix on him :)

ETA, that is the mix on the food I feed to him, not slathered on the top of his head.  lol
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 12:51:06 am »
Try some on his head as well Sally ,if his hair grows back let's know

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS