Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duckling bedding  (Read 5983 times)

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
Duckling bedding
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:52:31 am »
Hello
We have 85 khaki Campbell ducklings we are rearing to keep a few for us and to sell.
Does anyone have any ideas on more absorbent bedding? We have tried shavings but they became saturated very quick and now have straw which isn't much better. We have them in a stable at the moment which is divided into 2 areas, one where the drinkers are and one where is hopefully drier for them. We have the drinkers on blocks but literally 30 mins after filling them up they are empty and most of the water is on the floor. Any advice? :&>

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: Duckling bedding
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:06:15 pm »
For our adult ducks we cut out 2 squares at the side of a large round plastic tub with a lid, they can get their beaks in for a drink and no spills.  Tried the hemp bedding, auboise bedding, some other hemp like stuff that l cant remember the name of, straw and shavings.  For ducks the hemp type stuff we found had a revolting smell when the ducks poo in it, costly to buy and a good wind throws it about if not in a sheltered hut. We finally settled on wood shavings as more cost efficient with straw on the top that we chop up to go further.  You will have to experiment to see which suits you and the ducks.

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 04:34:17 pm »
I haven't tried this, but have you thought about using the rubber matting made for use in stables?

You could hose it down every day.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:05:59 pm »
chopped straw-miscanthus or hemp is very absorbent. Just don't use the stuff with eucalyptus etc added-I use it for everything now.  I've also used the no spill dog water bowls with some success-not on that scale though! rubber mats aren't a bad idea although possibly a bit sloppy by themselves.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:39:03 pm »
Try Easibed- I have all my ducks on it and it's great. It clumps together like cat litter. I liked it so much it's the only bedding I use now for all poultry ????

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:34:57 am »
I have access to loads of shredded paper - I use it for my hens successfully.  HAs anyone used this fro ducklings?  I'm scared they try to eat it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:59:42 am »
Paper I imagine would compact and go into a sticky mess fairly quickly with ducks and given that they lie directly on it sometimes when wet, I would worry about the ink if it's recycled?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »
would sand be any good?
Is it time to retire yet?

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 03:34:36 pm »
I use Verdo (wood pellets) for all animals now after I started it for the horses. It is incredibly absorbent and smells fresh until it is totally saturated and needs changing. Also the poo sits on top and you can just scoop it off.

For the ducks I usually use it straight as it is (not soaking it first) and then poo pick and mix it up every few days. Last for ages!  :thumbsup:

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 05:53:55 pm »
Hi,

85 ducks is a lot, you don't say how big the barn is. Ducks and geese are the dirtiest poultry you can have. I use straw , litter down every day and clean out once a week. Do your ducks have access to water for preening if not maybe that's what they're using the water for.

David

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 10:15:02 am »
With that number of ducks i'd have the drinkers sitting on a separate wire mesh that drains away from the main litter area.

Ducks and wet litter can be soul destroying!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 08:10:47 pm »
My new youngsters (only 6) are on concrete covered with plastic sheeting and a layer of shredded paper, more put in every second day - not too wet for  them to walk on, lifted at end of week and fresh plastic and paper put down.  Works for my hens, seems to be working for the ducklings.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 02:51:23 pm »
Thanks for all the replays.
They are in a big enough area, in fact we have just extended it. They are only 6 weeks old so have only just feathered up so I haven't as yet but anything else in there apart from the drinkers. So yes they probably are using it for preening. I will try butting a tuff spot in there and filling it with water and see if that makes a difference.
I'm now using shavings and straw on top, mucking them out fully once a week and then giving them a partial muck out mid week, adding clean straw in between this.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS