Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: La Bresse Gauloise & Indian Game Project  (Read 31891 times)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: La Bresse Gauloise & Indian Game Project
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2015, 08:23:07 pm »
Birds are looking good Robin, got plenty of leg on them  :thumbsup:
And that dark hen is stunning.

How are the LB X IG coming on ?

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2015, 07:14:24 pm »
Hi Dave, tried about 10 times to upload so decent pics of them for you, no joy! They've got a good weight to them and I'd say better than the LBs on the whole. I ought to weigh them but don't have the facilities but I reckon they are ready just that I'm not yet!

I might try knocking a couple on the head next week. The downside of this is that they won't have any milk so perhaps I ought to look at putting them in a smaller cage for a couple of weeks? Or they could be more like Label Rouge chickens?

My old LB cock looks on his last legs so he's going to have to go. Not sure whether it's worth processing him as a boiler or to chuck him on the bonfire? His son, who I thought was going to be a good'un has turned out too small and too aggressive will have to go too. He's not that old so can be a broiler.

How's your birds?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2015, 03:34:30 pm »
Do you have a replacement for the old LB cock bird ?

I just use a fishermans spring scales only cost you £5 from a shooting / fishing tackle shop, they are not really accurate but give you a good idea.

Really pleased with my LB hens which just keeps annoying me that I have no cockerels to try on the table, fingers crossed for next year.

Just on picking my IG keepers as my mate is coming at 4pm to take some off my hands.
Will work as a good back up incase I get a fox attack or something.

How are the LB x IG hens looking are you processing them as well or keeping to cross back, if so which way are you planning to cross back ?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 03:37:11 pm by Dave C »

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2015, 06:14:43 pm »
Just sold 3 hens and a cockerel,
I weighed the cockerel as my mate picked him up to inspect him, he was 5lb at 16 weeks old.
I am no expert with IG but was happy with that size, I know the frame will be big and slow growing is to be expected but he felt really meaty.

The birds I have kept are bigger and better marked that this cockerel so I'm looking forward to weighing them again at 20 weeks.

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2015, 08:59:11 pm »
Yeah, I'm planning to knock the old cock on the head soon as he looks dozy the whole time so is passed it. I've got 2 decent cock birds from my first batch to replace him. They can have about 20 hens between them as they are young and fit but will reduce hen number further down the field.

I've ordered digital fishing/luggage balance off amazon. Do you put yours in a trug/bucket? I'll start weighing them so we can compare notes.

Well done on selling a few and good that matey is local. I need to see a few sussexes and brahma X's. I had them up on preloved but nothing as of yet. Might try a local Facebook page or even on here?

I think I'm going to process the hens too. At the minute I just want to run with pure breeds. Batch 1 isn't that
big regarding LBs and LB X IGs. I sold a few, lost 2 so and am keeping back 2 so that only gives me 7. I'm hoping to process this week or next.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2015, 10:24:10 am »
A trug would work but I use a strip of hession sacking, I wrap it around the bird then the hook of the scales works like a clip to keep it closed.

My mate ended up taking 2 cockerels and 3 hens, he's going to set up 2 breeding pens one with some nice LS hens I sorted him out with last year.
I might get a few IG x LS hens from him next year to blend into my PG table bird project.

Really interested to see what your birds dress out like and how the crosses compare to the pure breeds in size, shape and taste   :yum:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:29:59 am by Dave C »

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2015, 03:31:21 pm »
Yeah, I'm planning to knock the old cock on the head soon as he looks dozy the whole time so is passed it. I've got 2 decent cock birds from my first batch to replace him. They can have about 20 hens between them as they are young and fit but will reduce hen number further down the field.

I've ordered digital fishing/luggage balance off amazon. Do you put yours in a trug/bucket? I'll start weighing them so we can compare notes.

Well done on selling a few and good that matey is local. I need to see a few sussexes and brahma X's. I had them up on preloved but nothing as of yet. Might try a local Facebook page or even on here?

I think I'm going to process the hens too. At the minute I just want to run with pure breeds. Batch 1 isn't that
big regarding LBs and LB X IGs. I sold a few, lost 2 so and am keeping back 2 so that only gives me 7. I'm hoping to process this week or next.

Any chance of some up to date pics before you process them Robin  :thumbsup:

Ryder

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2015, 07:57:48 pm »
just saw this thread.  Brilliant info Robin and Dave. I'm jumping in with the same request as Dave, any updates with the LB x IG Robin, weights or photos?  I'm planning on this cross myself next year to see if they are any better than IG x LS, so any updates would be great.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2015, 10:16:40 am »
Hi Ryder, good to see someone else with an interest

What breeds are you working with at the moment ?
Do you do many birds for the table ?

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2015, 04:13:39 pm »
Hi Ryder, thank you for joining the thread. I've got some more recent photos but having problems uploading them. I'll try again.

I've got the abattoir booked for next Monday. In the mean time I'll endeavour to get a few live weights.

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2015, 07:01:10 pm »
This is a LBXIG cock Cerca 20 weeks

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2015, 07:04:05 pm »
LBs and crosses

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2015, 07:06:33 pm »
Main breeding flock

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2015, 07:13:59 pm »
These are part of Batch 3, they are Brahma X IG. Not sure how they'll turn out so just a bit of an experiment as they may be crap?

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2015, 07:21:59 pm »
These are Batch 2 that is in with Batch 3. They are made up of LB, LS and BrX IG. The plan was the flog the hens and eat the cocks but retain all LBs. I'm going to get them processed at an abattoir so it could be a waste of money getting the non-LB cocks done as my strain is no good. Only time will tell.  These are fed on barley and whole wheat so as to keep the flesh as white as possible ie no maize.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS