Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 332196 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #660 on: June 10, 2016, 01:17:51 pm »
Sorry to hear that [member=2642]clydesdaleclopper[/member]  must have been awful :roflanim:, no really it sounds bad. Today I have been mainly trying to clear the graden, setting the hen on her hatching eggs, now to wait 21 days :excited: Trying to fence mischevious lambs in a field to stop them from getting into the garden. Now wheres the strimming wire for strimming the garden...... ???
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #661 on: June 10, 2016, 04:11:45 pm »
Skirting some fleeces, pulling up some carrots, emptying a compost bin, building a baby pen in the polytunnel and phoning around trying to get thsee hatching eggs sorted. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this smallholding malarkey!

Dans

Oh and keeping a 1 year old entertained all the while.
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #662 on: June 10, 2016, 07:58:03 pm »
waiting for this rain to stop..... checking sheep, still waiting for shearer to become available, in the meantime buildings are almost done for shearing to commence. Could have cut last week, but am waiting for a bigger window of more time and sunshine and heat, the grass needed the rain and has shot up even more, I predict a gorgeous haycrop this yr! :excited:
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #663 on: June 10, 2016, 11:53:41 pm »
Buying replacement plants. Planting pumpkins, courgettes and black kale.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #664 on: June 13, 2016, 05:57:27 pm »
Picking elderflowers and making cordial, treating a calf with a sore tum, and trying to clean the building for shearing. Busy day yesterday my brother a niece stayed with us this weeknd which was nice, but mum was run off her feet, so am having to do cleaning and cooking for her today. :)
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #665 on: June 13, 2016, 06:43:10 pm »
Cuddling a feverish 1 year old and thinking about all the things I need to be doing!

Oh and catching up with TAS

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #666 on: June 13, 2016, 08:01:47 pm »
Sorry to hear that [member=25651]Dans[/member] I hope it gets better soon! Just bben monitoring the weather, still rainy so no cutting for another few weeks

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #667 on: June 13, 2016, 11:43:18 pm »
Constantly checking under Caldi's  tail as she is due to kid tomorrow.

Picking side shoots out of tomatoes and tying them up. Also planted out the leeks.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #668 on: June 20, 2016, 05:50:10 pm »
taking pet lambs down to field, a long walk but well worth the excercise. Making fish crumble, rich and creamy (the lads don't like fish, but I have pursuaded them, I hope, that it is delicious). Also baking bread, white and brown, and trying to clean the house for when mum comes home. Lovely and sunny and warm here, if I have time this evening I will be planting out more veg plants and securing the garden.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #669 on: June 21, 2016, 12:44:24 am »
Cuddling my youngest grandchild. He is now eight months old and I haven't seen him for six months as they live in France.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #670 on: June 23, 2016, 10:23:42 am »
sorting out sheep ready for shearer, shouldn't be too long now he has been fully booked for months! trying to get a sheep back after it jumped out onto a road, what a pain that was. Looking up farm and machinery sales, closest one is in Yorkshire, still would be a good day out.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #671 on: June 26, 2016, 08:57:50 pm »
Moving my broody and her fostered legbar chicks from the wee coop into a large dog cage with a cat box for nesting, for greater security and a bit more space til the chicks are old enough to go in the grower run.  Being paranoid after losing 9 of my 16 hens to fox a couple weeks ago, all the tree roosting girls got nabbed one at a time as they jumped down in the morning.  The remaining 7 are coop roosting and/or catchable where then try and spend the night under bushes or in laying coops, so I fetch them individually to lock up for now.  The dog cage plus pallets around it and a metal sheet over the top for weather protection, should be more secure than the wee broody hut.

Also spending a lot of time pulling ragwort in the back field, nearly half way done on that one but the front field still to do after.  Oh and a wee bit on the constant weeds in the orchard, the garden, along fencelines, pretty much everywhere no matter how long I do weeding!

Hopefully getting elec fence sorted this week and then a leaned over fence righted again - I've knocked posts back too many times and some need replaced, the delivery came so need to get on with it.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #672 on: June 28, 2016, 09:15:14 pm »
Trying to catch up on all the jobs not done whilst away , the grass has grown the haylage is ready for cutting , and I still have my holiday head on...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #673 on: June 29, 2016, 12:04:51 am »
mucking out buildings and trying to massage my agonizingly painful wrist. Got massive painfuly sharp headaches too, for days now which won't go, so I think I will go to the drs surgery next week. It eminates from when a buffalo calf hit the side of my head a few months ago, hasn't been right since, thought it had gone, got a head massage and since then its been painful. getting a buffalo in for sending to abbatoir tomoz, finally! Rain has stopped so I managed to sort out mucking out buildings and shifting muck, fields are a deathtrap though. The grass is huge, I walked through it today and I am waiting for a good time to cut. Shearer rang so hopefully all go ahead for sunday! :excited: Got to go to bed now

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #674 on: July 02, 2016, 10:48:14 pm »
tidied up the yard ready for haylage time, just the baler to grease and sacrifice something to appease the weather gods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS