Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yolk sac and ducklings  (Read 8623 times)

Angry grapefruit

• Joined Feb 2015
Yolk sac and ducklings
« on: June 27, 2015, 08:06:25 pm »
Hi,

So I've hatched many a chick however this is my first time hatching ducklings. My ducklings are pipping, but are weak, when they do hatch, they're bloody and have large prominent yolk sacs. My question is... why? Too hot, too humid? Because they're hatching on day 27-27.5 if that makes sense, so a day or so early.

One has died and the other 3 don't look well  :'(

Any help appreciated

:)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Yolk sac and ducklings
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:46:40 am »
Are the eggs from your own stock?  Could be infection due to bacteria in the incubator, especially if the eggs were originally dirty then cleaned off rather than being from clean nests, or low grade mycoplasma infection or a genetic problem.  Sometimes it's just a mystery you can't unravel.  If the yolk sac hasn't been completely reabsorbed they always die, in my experience.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 12:09:30 pm »
Too hot prompts early weak hatchlings AG- that would be my guess. What incubator have you got?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:51:43 pm »
Did they need helping out of shells?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 03:37:32 pm »
is there any news on the ducklings?
Is it time to retire yet?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 06:31:56 pm »
Im starting to get a bad feeling about this thread  :'(

Angry grapefruit

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 01:06:13 am »
Hi all

I did write out a long answer but accidentally pressed the back button!

4 of the 5 died. One is still alive but like 2 of them before, he's very weak and can't right himself or straighten. The eggs weren't clean when they were put in the incubator (I was at uni when they were placed). I helped them having left them for 12 hours after pipping. 2 lived for a short while. The other 2 were dead. They came from old stock so I suspect it's because a combination of genetic and infection especially as someone else who bought the eggs from the same person experienced very similar problems. The eggs on the insides still had the blood vessels and the yolk sacs were very much still there. Very large.

Very sad to have 4 soon to be 5 dead ducklings.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:45:18 am »
really sad. Im sorry. Maybe dispatch would be kinder, poor thing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 08:08:23 pm »
I never clean eggs as it compromises the protective layer (the cuticle).  I rely on clean nest boxes and materials.  On the one hand if the parent stock was old it at least was robust enough to survive for some time. On the other hand it may be that the parent stock didn't have the optimum breeder diet and deficiencies led to problem ducklings.  Either way I wouldn't use eggs from that source again.

Angry grapefruit

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 12:50:06 pm »
Apologies for never replying, I've had a busy summer revising and in practice.

Out of the 2 that lasted more than 5 minutes, 1 died after a couple of hours, however the Charlie as she is affectionately known made it. We syringe fed her water for the first 12 hours, however within 2 days rather than falling over and only being able to turn in one direction with an intention tremor. Charlies suspected cerebellar hypoplasia resolved and she's now a fully grown duck living with a flow of other runner duck friends :)

So what I've learned - is to not give up on them  ;D

Thank you for all the nice comments above :)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 09:41:39 pm »
Sorry to be late to replying but thought I would add my experience.
I have had a number of ducklings over the last 10 year with incompletely absorbed yolk sacs when they hatch and with a little TLC most of them have survived. If they are half hatched and have not yet kicked off their shell I try to leave that on till the sac has absorbed but keep it moist so they don't get stuck in the shell. If out and floppy (lying on their side, weakly kicking their legs but not sitting up, preening etc) I keep them in the incubator until they are fluffed up and sitting up. If this is more than 12 hours after hatch I give them sips of water with honey dissolved in it and the sugar really seems to perk them up a bit. I've had plenty of ducklings that look mostly dead that have picked up miraculously with this, including one that I almost threw away it looks so dead. Most of them are impossible to tell from their hatch mates within 48-72 hours.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS