Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking at my first two goats tomorrow  (Read 3291 times)

bplegs

• Joined Aug 2010
Looking at my first two goats tomorrow
« on: June 27, 2015, 03:59:26 pm »
The title says it all really.

Any helpful tips would be great. There is a castrated male and a female. Both are 3 years old.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Looking at my first two goats tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 06:06:45 pm »
Congratulations. Goats are great fun but can be exasperating. What sort are they? I presume you have suitable accommodation for them - a comfortable shed so they can get out of bad weather, open ground if they are to go outside that is built like Colditz and you're stocked up with the food that they are used to, together with hay.

Do you have your CPH yet? You will need to get it, if not.

What do you want to know exactly? We'll help all we can.  :goat: :goat:

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:57 pm »
What do you want them for? Meat and milk? Personally I wouldn't want a castrated male unless I was going to eat him. But if you want pets then I am sure he will be great!

I miss goats! I am looking at boers! Just need to make a shelter first!

Have fun!

bplegs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 10:12:30 pm »
Thanks both.

Haven't got a clue on breed, that's part of the fact finding tomorrow. They are apparently used to being tethered. We have a portable shelter and 9 acres so room isn't a problem. CPH held already as we a
Ready have sheep. The goats and sheep won't be sharing space though. We have a great paddock for them. ????

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:28:41 pm »
You'll be in love by the end of tomorrow  :sunshine:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 10:46:36 pm »
Hmmmhh.... "they are used to being tethered..."  :-\

Ask about - breed, vaccination regime, worming (and if necessary fluke) programme, see if their feet are overgrown - if answers are evasive - walk away.

check them over - are they thin (can you see their ribs and do the hips stick out) - if yes (I take it the girl is not being milked atm), again walk away. (a dry goat at this time of year should have a good covering on her, without being fat). A thin goat (esp a wether) could mean not wormed recently for example. See what their droppings are like too - runny, again walk away. Pick up their feet and check them for scabby bits just above the hoofs, foot rot and how recently trimmed.

If you want to breed from the female - check her teats, they should only be two and each should only have one orifice. No fishtail/double teats - impossible to milk. (If the wether is her brother check his teats too)

Horns?

If sold as registered - ask to see the female's registration certificate and take down her number, so you can double check that goat is with the right owner. (I can check for you)

Really the best would be to take another experienced goatkeeper with you for advice if you are new to goats.

See what their housing is like, do they share with sheep atm...

Cazas1

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 11:28:01 pm »
Be careful what your buying, if the goats have problems with their feet, udders, scrotum, teeth, or are knock kneed, then beware, also different breeds have different traits, English goats,   Sannon goats, toggenburgs etc like to jump, can clear 5 feet fencing, before buying go onto the allgoats.org.uk. Website and get all the practicle advise and if your looking for a specific breed go onto the breeds website and find out what is required first. Goats are just like vegetarian dogs and totally loveable but then the problem is if it's for meat or not, also be careful with a billy goat as once they get to 3 years old they get more aggressive. Happy goating  :goat:

bplegs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 11:46:14 am »
Right.

The male is unknown heritage from a milk herd. The female is an unregistered golden crest.

Both have a great temperament, the males is such a softy. Both have visible backbones but ribs and dump well covered.

The female is well formed, two teats and one orifice.

Feet are trimmed every 8 weeks and no evidence of foot rot or overgrowth. Teeth looked good.

Both goats droppings are solid and well formed.

Horns slightly curved back, equal and straight.

Good coats.

I think I will go for them ????

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 01:18:47 pm »
You mean female is unreg Golden Guernsey? Sounds ok.

Get the current owner to worm them just before they leave, or make sure you have got a wormer (probably an ivermectin based drench) ready for them on arrival at your place. Don't let them out to graze until your 10-day post-worming FEC test has come back clear. Bring them branches etc in the meantime, and they will get used to their housing while inside. They may complain about not being let out at this nice time of year, but you risk importing worms onto your pasture. Ivermectin-based drenches have to be given to goats at 2x the sheep dose.

Also get some of their current food and hay to take with you, so you can switch them over to your feed over a couple of weeks or so.

Have fun! Goats are great.

bplegs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 03:22:50 pm »
Thank you!

The current owner is coming over to see where the hosts will be coming next week. I will arrange for them to be wormed and then the goats will be staying in their own small paddock which will be their own overnight place.

Quite excited!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 10:15:41 pm »
And the most important advice is

ENJOY YOUR GOATS

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS