Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats won't graze without us  (Read 3862 times)

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
Goats won't graze without us
« on: June 27, 2015, 11:28:30 am »
Does anyone have any tips to try and get our goats to settle and graze in the field without us there?

They've been with us about 10 days now, we've got them slowly used to going out in the field, they've been out for a couple of hours in the morning and afternoon, but we'd like them to be out full time.

If we stand in the field with them, or stand looking over the wall at them, they will eat and they are fine, if we are away from them they stand at the gate shouting and pacing around.
I've tried to leave them to it and see if they settle which they will for a few minutes every so often, but spend most of the time at the gate shouting for us. The moment I go out and look over the wall at them they become calm and settle down to eat.  :goat:

How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Goats won't graze without us
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 11:32:04 am »
They will settle in time. You haven't had them long and they will be feeling very unsettled and will see you as security. It might take a few weeks but they will get there.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 11:45:35 am »
They will settle eventually but if you keep going back you aren't helping. Mine have free range and if I am doing anything in the fields they just have to come with me. They love a walk with the dogs! Look on the bright side - at least they come to you!  :eyelashes:

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:29:18 am »
Thanks for the replies :)  I'm leaving them more on their own now. My dogs have been introduced to them now and they all seem fine thankfully, so I can leave them out longer and not have to put them away to let the dogs out.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 01:35:01 pm »
Two of my bottle fed kids are doing just that.  I just walk away and leave them - if they want to stand and yell, they can.  And they do!!  They do give up eventually.  Yours will soon settle, and get into a routine of knowing what time you will be back to see them.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 07:48:41 am »
I logged on to post exactly the same thing. Except I've had my two for two months. They will eat grass and bushes and trees happily while I'm there, but when I go they do very little, (spy from my car through the day, and can see where their droppings are). They bleat a good bit, and then just curl up in the corner and wait for me to come back. If they do graze or eat its within about 20m of the gate. At the end of the day they are visibly thin (tucked up) from having barely eaten anything. I've tried the hard line, but the more hours they're in the field, the more empty they get. If it's not raining I put them outside all day.

I've tried putting them in different fields, their same field, but at the other end, feeding them half as much concentrate in the morning (with the idea that they'll be so hungry they'll have to eat), feeding them in different places in the field.

I'm thinking I may need to borrow some more goaty goats to teach them what to do!?!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 01:12:48 pm »
They will when they are hungry

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 01:33:38 pm »
This is the advice I've had from a few people, and a vet, so when the weather was good a few weeks ago, I was putting them out all day, every day and they lost all their condition, could feel every rib and vertebrae process, and see their spines. They looked RSPCA bad.

The wetter weather meant they've been in a fair bit since then and they are looking better.
If I go there now they will start eating, otherwise they just sit. I am worried they'll lose all their condition again, but I don't want them to be housed all the time.
Anyone any other ideas?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 02:28:49 pm »
Great! New ammunition! I'd not thought of leaving them overnight, yes I'll try that!
 Thanks  :thumbsup:

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 12:23:01 pm »
My girls are settling in a little more now, they do call at the gate still but are actually going off to eat on their own a little bit.
I've tried leaving a radio on for them, and the tv in the caravan that boarders their field with the window open so they can hear it and think they have company, that worked for a little while.
The best thing that worked for them was turning the horses out onto the yard next to them, when the horses are grazing near by the goats are happy to graze near them and settle.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS