Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 3680 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Weather
« on: June 27, 2015, 09:47:07 am »
Due to lack of summer I have been feeding hard feed and hay as my grass is still slow on growing. I have friends in Shetland who are having a horrible time trying to source hay which for them is very costly. Seems to be the same in the Highlands. Thank goodness next week is to be warmer. I expect new hay when made will be costly for next winter also due to poor grass or it will be made much later on. The one thing that never fails to grow are the weeds. I have had ponies still in at night just to give the paddocks a chance so using more straw. Never had this before so near to July. Tough times.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 03:58:39 pm »
that's really bad.
Down here in Lancashire we turned out about 5 weeks later than usual. The grass was growing very poorly, mostly due to the ground being terribly wet. Luckily we have a lot more land that our 2 horses need so we moved them around a lot.
Hay is being made this weekend here and next week is due to be very hot, but not all that dry  :(  Its going to be one of those rotten wet years I think
Is it time to retire yet?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 06:45:00 pm »
I heard it was bad up there. It's not been great in S Lanarkshire either-just so blinking cold albeit relatively dry. Grass is growing but its not at its peak yet at we're at the end of June! I've brought two of them back to give another paddock a chance, so am caning my hay supplies as well.

Of course, I do have 5 acres thats been rested since last November that I daren't put anything on yet  :thinking:  tricky things, horses.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 03:01:05 pm »
they certainly are Lord Flynn, very tricky indeed. Still, we wouldn't be without them  :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 06:55:42 pm »
Today although warm we had thunderstorms and  now water everywhere. The sky got very dark late morning and I rushed to take my washing in. I had just started getting all the winter rugs out ready to wash. By the time i got them back inside and myself along with the dogs round to the house I was soaked through.Have a list of jobs needing done, way behind.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 07:23:45 pm »
Its certainly an odd year. This week's heat wave has now started here but its not sunny at all....just overcast and a heavy atmosphere. Im expecting thunder too.
I  hate it hot at night so not looking forward to that either.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 04:00:40 pm »
Jeepers its hot here now. Not a cloud in the sky and even the slight breeze is hot: YUK!
Why is British weather either one thing or the other? In Manchester that's called being "either sugar or sh*te"! Sorry: how common  :eyelashes:  ;D

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:45:36 am »
its horrific here. like autumn already. my girls have even had their rugs on a couple of times! in July ffs!!!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:22:55 am »
Plenty of grass here, older ones looking well covered and with plenty of huge gorse banks, but I'm taking particular care with the youngsters this summer, I'm getting in one or two today to rug back up, I don't like doing this, but needs must. I ve never put a rug on in August before.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 07:13:24 pm »
I am now strip grazing the 2 cobs. They were on the hill where the grass is poor but it must have shot up for now Dolly has some neck on her and Toto although just 3 looks like a tank. They are coming during the day to get away from the swarms of flies and getting some old hay. You can't win with horses  :-J

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS