Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To wean or not to wean - that is the question!  (Read 1367 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
To wean or not to wean - that is the question!
« on: June 26, 2015, 05:55:44 pm »
Hi Folks,

One of my milkers has had an abscess at the base of her dew claw. The vet has been out to sort her out, but she's still a bit under the weather and reluctant to let her three month old kid suckle. The kid is going to be a 'keeper' to replace her mum in due course - should I just wean her now or try to get her on to a bottle? She's nibbling feed and hay and has not really had a bottle before. Mum has a 28 day withdrawal for the antibiotics so I'm not going to get milk any faster from her by weaning. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Ben

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: To wean or not to wean - that is the question!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:07:46 pm »
Sounds like mum might make the decision for you if she's not letting the kid suckle!
Be interested to hear what the more experienced people have to say. I am planning on weaning mine at 3 months as that seems to be the recommendation for intact male kids. My boys are clearly greedy guts though as they are 7 weeks old and doing a lot more than just nibbling on stuff!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:49:47 pm »
If the kid has not been on the bottle really ever you will struggle to get her to take one now. So I would leave her with the dam AND encourage the kid to eat more concentrates (18% protein ), does the little one take stuff from mum's bowl? Give lots of branches and nice soft hay. She should be fine, although I don't wean any of mine until at least 6 months old (they are on the bottle from day 4). Entire boys get a bottle for at least their first year.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 11:41:16 pm »
istay on the mother and self wean around about 6 months.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:48:28 am »
I've left her with mum, who has decided that its definitely time to wean - both are eating well now and kid seems to be doing fine, if a little bit bleaty! Thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS