Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silver laced Wyandottes - HELP PLS!  (Read 4255 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Silver laced Wyandottes - HELP PLS!
« on: June 26, 2015, 02:28:35 am »
Hello,

So as I mentioned in a previous post I have moved to south america - Argentina in fact. And have started a small holding. I have always loved Silver Laced Wyandottes so was pleased to find some here! My bantams are turning out great but the large fowl lack type and there is no option to import so I need to find a way of improving them myself!

I like the challenge so it should be fun! What would be a good outcross? How do I get back to the lacing once I have bred to improve size and roundness!!?? What colour should I breed to? Anyone have any experience on what I can experiment with?!

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated and of course I will then let you know what comes out!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Silver laced Wyandottes - HELP PLS!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:52:27 am »
I've been told that the cockerel carries the colouring and the hens the size, if that helps Roddycm? The genetics of colour is incredibly complex. I started reading notes about it I found on the internet, but just got completely baffled by the whole subject. So good luck is all I can offer you.

Wyandottes have fertility issues. A perfectly smooth rose comb in my recent experience is an indication of potential problems. The breed needs an injection of straight comb periodically I read and this manifests as rippling or bobbling on a rose comb surface.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 02:21:07 pm »
Yes I just need to make mine rounder. I was thinking an orpington but then how do I keep the lacing while not losing the size again!? I am guessing it will be several generations! I will join the Wyandotte page on FB and see what they say!

Thanks for the response!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 02:48:52 pm »
We had a BLW L/F with a standard comb this year - supposed to boost fertility.  I would hesitate to use an Orpington in case it brought reduced egg laying ability to the party.  I wonder what would happen if you crossed out to a white L/F every other generation, crossing back to lacing between times?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 04:00:26 pm »
Hello,

So as I mentioned in a previous post I have moved to south america - Argentina in fact. And have started a small holding. I have always loved Silver Laced Wyandottes so was pleased to find some here! My bantams are turning out great but the large fowl lack type and there is no option to import so I need to find a way of improving them myself!

I like the challenge so it should be fun! What would be a good outcross? How do I get back to the lacing once I have bred to improve size and roundness!!?? What colour should I breed to? Anyone have any experience on what I can experiment with?!

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated and of course I will then let you know what comes out!

You could import fertile eggs over and hatch them yourself?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:03:35 pm »
I was thinking Light Sussex as I have some lovely birds with yellow legs and great egg laying ability! I guess I can't lose anything by trying!

I wonder what the cross will look like? I have googled but cant find a pic

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 04:05:05 pm »

[/quote]
You could import fertile eggs over and hatch them yourself?
[/quote]

Yes I am looking into that but lots of paperwork and red tape! I would try importing from the states. Would need quite a few to ensure I get a couple of chicks as the journey is long!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:03:26 pm »
I think the US version has developed along different lines to the UK one - less lacing and a lighter build.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 07:54:02 pm »
yes they do look lighter in build, more like a laced black rock **sighs** I will have to work at this!! One good cockbird is all I need to get me started! Maybe I will smuggle one next time I go to the UK  :innocent: hahaha

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 12:07:58 pm »
We were discussing this project last night whilst looking at our chickens suffering badly in the heat and my wife made a good point. Our English Wyandottes are rather heavily built which means their hot temperature tolerance is poor. The local Gasconne chickens here are slim built Leghorn derivatives and manage the elevated temperatures very well, as do our own Leghorns. You may find that increasing the build of your laced Wyandottes reduces their tolerance to your climate in Argentina -after all the local chickens have evolved to cope with local conditions. You could then end up with birds that need a lot of special care and consume a lot of your time and resources, as some of ours do. I know in America in certain areas the birds need air conditioning in Summer and heat through Winter.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 04:28:58 pm »
Yes that is a good point. A few ppl around here breed brahmas and orpingtons with no problems though so I think it should be ok. I have lots of shade so its pretty cool even on the hottest days. The only problem is that breeding needs to be done in spring as hatch rates seem to decrease as the temperature rises! This has been the case for my bantam wyandottes too. Its a whole new set of challenges!  :farmer:  :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS