Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lump on TB injection site  (Read 9325 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
lump on TB injection site
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:22:20 pm »
not going to get any sleep tonight.  Annual test this week, vet was out tues and back again tomorrow.  2 of my girls have large lumps on the injection site.  Wish I had taken more notice of which jab was the live jab and which was the placebo.  Top site has the lumps, bottom injection site is flat.  I am sadly assuming that this means they are reactors.  Not only does this mean I am at risk of losing my 2 favourite Jerseys if they react again on a later visit, (daisy and Delilah are part of the family)  will be heartbreaking.  But it also means that my 2 Steers who have been sold and being collected tomorrow wont be able to go, and the bull who was coming to run with my girls wont be able to come.  Knock on effect for everything.  Totally gutted. 

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: lump on TB injection site
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:06:47 pm »
Our practice no longer do Tb testing, but I believe the top should be the control (avian tb), so if bottom is flat they should be clear.
Don't worry about it until the vet comes as you can't do anything about it anyway (easier said than done, I know!)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:17:28 am »
Thinking of you today, trish, with everything crossed for you and your girls  :fc:  :-*  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:18:34 am »
Good luck :fc:

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:41:08 am »
Sending positive thoughts and hoping for the best!  :fc:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 09:20:21 am »
Hope all is well  :fc:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:37:03 am »
 :fc: :fc: :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 11:51:48 am »
Good news and bad news!!  Jerseys were all fine, top lump had to be bigger than bottom lump!!  Phew!!  We then went across the field to the 2 steers, who kindly popped themselves in the pen by the crush.  Vet spotted lumps on them, same as the girls, but decided he needed to measure them for his records.  By this point the boys had decided enough was enough and they weren't going back in the crush after Tuesdays experience.  Both jumped the metal 5 bar gates and trotted off!!  Tried to reason with the vet that they were fine and didn't need measuring but he was on a mission.  He is now coming back after lunch to measure the lumps.  I have had to drive 5 miles with tractor and trailer to collect some high cattle hurdles from a farm, drag them out to the boys field and make a better pen.  (not easy on your own).  Boys thought this was very entertaining and watched me with amusement!  Now got to get them into the new pen and hope they stay there till the vet arrives.  I HATE this TB testing!!!!!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 11:57:00 am »
not going to get any sleep tonight.  Annual test this week, vet was out tues and back again tomorrow.  2 of my girls have large lumps on the injection site.  Wish I had taken more notice of which jab was the live jab and which was the placebo.  Top site has the lumps, bottom injection site is flat.  I am sadly assuming that this means they are reactors.  Not only does this mean I am at risk of losing my 2 favourite Jerseys if they react again on a later visit, (daisy and Delilah are part of the family)  will be heartbreaking.  But it also means that my 2 Steers who have been sold and being collected tomorrow wont be able to go, and the bull who was coming to run with my girls wont be able to come.  Knock on effect for everything.  Totally gutted.
I think it is the bottom one which is the TB, I wouldn't worry if there's a lump he will measure it. My animals have had lumps on all sites and have been measured and have been fine. it could just be a skin irritation. I always feel doom and gloom between the testing and results and very nervous when the results come in. Hope all goes well
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 12:25:44 pm »
Great news  :thumbsup:  :relief:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 04:13:45 pm »
Vet has been back and steers were super well behaved with their huge hurdles!!  Everyone TB clear.  Big phew!!  Steers are off to pastures new on Monday (just got to get them loaded!) and my bank balance will look a little less yucky!!  Bull has passed all his tests and will be arriving next week to play with the girls.  Might just treat myself to a wee drink tonight, I need it!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 04:19:26 pm »
cheers  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 04:56:41 pm »
Very pleased for you, I needed some good news so thank you, well done all and yes, you've earned that drink plus chocolate/a huge slice of cake or whatever else takes your fancy!  :thumbsup:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 06:59:09 pm »
Great news for you and the cattle. I could not cope with all that stress every year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS