Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best breeds for someone who is new to sheep?  (Read 21660 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Best breeds for someone who is new to sheep?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 09:42:23 am »
I was going to suggest that, given the wetness, any of the Welsh breeds would do :)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 09:46:08 am »
Any sheep is going to struggle with constant wetness, both with feet and fluke.

However, as said, some breeds are better than others.

But a point that many on here seem to miss totally, is that there is probably more variation within breeds than between them.

I.E A hardy welsh breed, from a small flock that is pampered, not culled for problems, and comes from very different ground (no matter where they were meant to come from traditionally) is going to struggle on a very different system . . . . . . . . . whereas even a traditionally 'softer' breed, if selected and culled hard, and from similar ground, is going to do better.

The most important thing is to go see the sheep, and check they are currently doing what you want them to do at yours.

I run wool shedders of a couple of types, and cull them hard for any issues, and they generally live, lamb and grow well on marginal ground here, cause me little bother, and do well enough commercially.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 10:05:52 am »
I.E A hardy welsh breed, from a small flock that is pampered, not culled for problems, and comes from very different ground (no matter where they were meant to come from traditionally) is going to struggle on a very different system . . . . . . . . . whereas even a traditionally 'softer' breed, if selected and culled hard, and from similar ground, is going to do better.

The most important thing is to go see the sheep, and check they are currently doing what you want them to do at yours.
+1

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 03:38:14 pm »
Stay well away from primitive breeds unless you want to spend your life looking for them or a market to sell what you breed.
Look over the fence and that will give you a clue to what you need.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 09:46:42 pm »
Wow lots of good advice there.
Yes we are in North Lanarkshire Scotland. We have 25 acres of rough grazing, some of it being wet in the winter months, but room in all fields to get out of the wet and keep feet dry. We have shelter if needed too- for lambing or in bad weather.
I am a housewife/full time mum/mucker outter and general dogs body around the farm - so I have maybe a good few hours in a day if needed most days, but a hardy breed with less intervention involved would be better, just in case I don't have those hours due to something cropping up.
I do like Jacobs - when we moved in the previous owner left a sheep here - it was very flighty, she had said it was old and when we first looked at the property there were 3 here (I have since found their bones!).
About the 2nd day we were in the house we managed to find the sheep. This old sheep looked to me as if it was not well - I managed to catch it (it wasn't difficult) it was absolutely skin and bone, so I thought I'd bring it in to the barn and give it some tlc, or a more dignified death. The poor thing collapsed as I was wondering how to get it up the hill with a toddler in the other hand, all I could do was sit and stroke its head while it breathed its last breaths. The toddler kept asking why the cow was asleep.
He was a big handsome sheep - or would have been with 4 horns and was brown and white, was a shame we couldn't have more time with him.
I also like shetlands but am worried about them being small and may escape easily if they found a hole in the fence.
I will reread all your suggestions and of course visit the sales at Lanark to see what's there and not rush any descions.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 10:02:17 pm »
The agricultural shows are worth a visit at this time of year - lots of different breeds on display, so you can talk to the owners (they'll be keen to speak to you if you're a potential customer) and see what takes your fancy and will suit your ground.  :thumbsup:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 08:17:14 pm »
Another vote for Zwartbles.  Lovely natures - follow a bucket anywhere - generally large sheep but not all of them are.  There is a variation in type - some taller, rangier types and others shorter and more fleshy.  Meat tastes good from either!   Personally don't have foot problems with mine apart from those caused by thorns!   Scottish sale coming up on Wednesday 8th July at United Auctions, Stirling. 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 08:46:54 am »
Lleyn or zwartbles are good sheep to start with. They're easy to manage and are very milky, easy lambers, fantastic mothers and the lambs are strong. Plus  the meat is fantastic. I would advise when killing the lambs for meat to leave them a year, so you can slaughter them at 12 months. It gives time for the fat layer to develops, in zwartbles that is Lleyn can be given 8-12 months and the meat tastes excellent. The reason why zwartbles must not be slaughtered before 12 months is because they are quite a lean animal and there lean fat layer must develope otherwise it is tasteless. At 12 months their carcase has developed. Another sheep to start with is a British milksheep, I started out with them, fantastic they're just like the Lleyn. Hope this helps and all the best. :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 09:25:03 pm »
Just wanted to add my own experience re zwartbles lamb meat

My zwartbles boys (uncastrated) go off for slaughter straight from their mums, usually at about 16 weeks.  They are typically around 50kg at that point.   The meat is certainly on the lean side but very tasty!  Mine are sold privately as half lambs and have repeat customers who love it.   

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 01:57:02 am »
Black Welsh Mountain sheep! They are gorgeous and very easy! Hands down best breed for you or anyone haha yes I am biased but they were what I started with and they are just perfect!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 09:13:13 am »
What about Balwens?   Don't tell himself but I'd secretly love a little flock of them  :innocent:

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 03:46:08 pm »
Balwens are good too! Just a bit more tricky to get the markings right. But a good hardy breed none the less!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 05:48:21 pm »
Sorry Castle Farm I take exception to your comment about primatives there are plenty of folks on this forum with these kinds of sheep who don't need to go looking for them, I  have never had any go walk about and there is always a market for good stock. I have always been able to sell my surplus with ease. So to wind up your statement is false.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 05:53:37 pm »
Don't rise to the bait, bc  :hug:.  We who have primitives and know their strengths thumb our noses to those who cannot manage them ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 06:56:49 pm »
I did an awful lot of research before we opted for Ryelands as our very first sheep  ( I Im a bit of an obsessive!). We picked up our first lambs today and they were so , so easy to catch, load, travel and settle in here. They said "hello" nicely to our 2 Highland ponies with lots of confidence, had a bit of an explore and then set about happy grazing. They are now peacefully cudding and we are so happy with them.
Yes, its our very first day as sheep keepers, so we know next-to-nothing but we think we got it right in choosing Ryelands
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS