Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best breeds for someone who is new to sheep?  (Read 21663 times)

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
Best breeds for someone who is new to sheep?
« on: June 24, 2015, 08:16:03 pm »
I'm gradually getting the fencing sorted out to make it dog/shetland/foal and sheep proof - not to mention toddler escape resistant, but she climbs so I'm stuck there!

I hope to get a small herd of sheep maybe next year, this will be my first experience with sheep, so I'd like something hardy and can cope with a few mistakes to start off with. What would be the best breeds to consider?

I have 25 acres of rough grazing (a present there are a lot of rushes growing, but that is anther project of mine!) I have 6 native ponies who will be cross grazing with the sheep. Some of the fields can be wet, although due to my massive fencing project would just be keeping them to the dryest fields to begin with. I have a small shelter which has been used for sheep by the previous occupants I also have access to an experienced commercial sheep farmer who is my neighbour for advice.
I would just be keeping sheep to cross graze with the ponies and as a bit of a hobby to begin with, so no plans for a huge operation of any kind.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Best breeds for someone who is new to sheep?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:37:59 pm »
We keep Ryelands so of course we would recommend them. They are docile, not too big, not given to wandering, produce wonderful lamb off grass at six months (so you don't need to castrate your tup lambs), good fleece ( you can also get Coloured Ryelands that produce fleece from dark brown to silvery gray / brown). One of the great things about Ryelands is that they seem to have a good resistance to footrot.

We've found them to be easy to keep - not as easy lambing as the primitives but don't require much intervention.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:23:59 pm »
I'll put a pitch in for Jacobs - no foot problems and no worming so far (after a year). Very easy lambing, no help required. Interesting to look at and lambs are doing really well off just grass. No illnesses either. They can be a bit flighty at first but ours are pretty tame now. Only downside is your commercial farmer friend might turn his nose up at them!

We were first timers last year and while it's been a steep learning curve, we've really enjoyed it and there's loads of experience and information on here.

You can get different animals from different breeders of the same breed so having someone experienced in a breed look over potential purchases or give you advice would be really helpful.

Where in the country are you?

Good luck!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:50:07 pm »
Where are you as this could make a difference.

Here we have Llanwenogs ....  very friendly, lovely wool, and compare well with commercials on growth ( http://llanwenog-sheep.co.uk/index.php/news-events/news/251-bridgwater-update-jan-15 ) yet are still a rare breed ... Oh and best  .. they are the real Shaun the sheep!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:33:24 pm »
Couple of obvious questions -

What kind of ground?
Why do you want sheep? (i.e meat, wool, milk, ornamental, commercial, conservation grazing etc)
How many will you run?
What kind of system do you want? (I.e indoor/outdoor lambing, sell fat lambs at the mart, in a box, sell breeding sheep etc).
What do you actually like the look / sound of?

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 11:11:14 pm »
Hi there and welcome.

We run Castlemilk Moorits who are easy to deal with and very self sufficient but without the wildness that some of the more native breeds can have.

With the added bonus of helping to keep a rare breed going of course.

Of course, you will get lots of people like me saying their breed is the best but the most important thing is that you do your own research and choose a breed that you like - you are more likely to be successful with a breed that you like.

Regards

Mark
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 07:52:57 am »
I think the answer really is what breed do you take a fancy too x how much time do you have to spare on them - my vote goes to the Hebridean - see FB page below - as I dont have a great deal of spare time and they lamb and work away fine with only the odd bit of husbandry required
Find a breed you have a passion for -visit others and rare breed sales and get hands on - make sure you and others involved are physically capable of handling them 2

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 08:22:47 am »
As someone who started as a total novice 6 years ago, with Wiltshire Horn, I would of course mention them as an option. We were drawn initially by the wool shedding, and the description of them and the "Easy-care" derivatives as "requiring minimal shepherding". In truth the only labour saving is that they don't require shearing or dagging and as a result tend to be less prone to flystrike problems. In every other way however they require time and attention. we did cross breed with lleyns (another fine sheep) and end up having problems getting a small flock sheared. consequently we have returned to wool shedders only.
as a breed we love them, easy to handle, etc etc but they still need looking after. I would agree with others in spending time around sales or shows and find a breed that ticks your boxes and/or that you can get passionate about. several years later the biggest tip I can give is not about a specific breed but about the importance of being prepared, have the right equipment and develop your own system. We spent 18 months without a sheep hurdle on the place- so I would recommend getting whatever breed you like the look of but first get some sheep hurdles !!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 09:11:19 am »
I see you are in North Lanarkshire.

I'd suggest going to the Hebs and Shetlands sale at Lanark this year, 29th August, seeing if you like either of those breeds (and/or any other breeds that may be there on the day), and talking to some local breeders. 

Your neighbouring commercial farmer will be a godsend, but so too would be a local expert in the breed that you choose ;).

Another option would be to get some commercial store lambs this year - let your neighbour advise you on which to get - to give yourselves an introduction to sheep-keeping.  Make sure you buy animals of high health status though; you don't want to bring disease or resistant parasites onto your lovely virgin ground!

Then, once you have the basics of sheep-keeping under your belt, choose 'your' breed  - or stick with commercials, if you like them. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 02:40:11 pm »
I suggest offering your ground for grazing to your farmer neighbour for a year and ask if you can help with stock tasks, so you can learn without responsibility for the stock.  After that consider how you're going to sell your surplus sheep - may be worth consulting your local livestock market to see what sells.

vkmcc

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Renfrewshire
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 03:35:37 pm »
I will give the Jacobs another vote we started off with a flock of Jacobs to graze in with our horses had never owned sheep before and they are great in the fact that they are so hardy and need very little interference only down side as previously said they can be a bit flighty but do come round to a bucket. Once we were a bit more experienced we got Zwartbles and I find them fantastic they are so friendly and enjoy human attention. Also found the Jacobs were great for weed control in with our horses.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 09:39:33 pm »
Sally - R.E the commercial stores, at the current prices, you could buy a couple of pens of fat lambs, kill the males and keep the females. . . . and you'd probably get a bargain!

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 10:17:10 pm »
No-one ever recommends Balwens as a starter flock.... probably cos they are mountain sheep and pesky (!).... but we really enjoy them... AND if you can manage them, anything after that must be a piece of cake  :roflanim: :roflanim:
We've also added some shetlands, and being from a very loving and caring (TAS) home they are very manageable and a bit of a joy!

[our set up described in the sheep page of our website: www.smilingsheep.co.uk]

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 08:02:32 am »
Zwartbles are big sheep that look good.  With only a handful you could make friends and halter train, then tie up to work on them. The biggest downside is some strains are prone to foot problems.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 08:08:06 am »
Tamsjute is describing wet ground, so it might be best to avoid sheep that are prone to foot problems, and also any that are used to rocky mountainous terrain.  (Those are often not happy on permanently soggy footing.)

Best feet so far in my experience are the primitives, by a country mile.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS