Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It won;t take long  (Read 1557 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
It won;t take long
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:30:27 pm »
I said. ;D

The charity buying my goats and one other, offered to pay for the CAE test - we are letting the goats go at a very reasonable price.  For their vet to come out, was a lot, my vet, a lot.  Had to bite the bullet and ask the vet down the road - where I had the fiasco with de horning kids a couple of years back.  They wanted a lot too.  But if we took the female goat and also the two kids down there, they would do the blood tests, and everything for £56, which was way cheaper than other options.

Unfortunately my husband sold the pick up on Monday - the lady who owns the other goat has a landrover, but the back door hinge has broke and door very hard to open and close.  Had to use my husbands nice Shogun ......he was not happy.

Just before we were due to go, next doors calves had stamped the fence down, letting 5 of my ponies onto about 20 acres of long grass......not good chasing ponies who did not want to come off that grass, in hot weather.  Finally caught them, loaded goats.  Got to vets and announced our arrival.  Young vet appeared and asked why we had come - we had told reception when we booked appointment.  Off she goes and gets necessary stuff.  Big goat and one goat kid blood got ok.  Little pygmy - 4 attempts at getting two syringes of blood, and that's with those modern things, which make it easier.  Poor little goat was howling.  Got home, and thought I would worm and do jabs ready for the three goats going. 

Hmm....no way could that needle go in the pygmy goat.  Wish I had asked the vet to do it!!  Finally got a bigger needle, and that worked.

Three hours later ......what did I say about it not taking long?!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: It won;t take long
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:49:28 pm »
Surely you know by now that if you say it won't take long, it always does. Next time say that it will take ages. It might be quick then.  ;)

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: It won;t take long
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:48:53 am »
I'm intrigued! You took goat and kids to vet in a car. Is this possible??! We nearly took one of our ANs to the vet last year (for an xray) but had him out here instead in the end - we don't have a stock trailer. Other half does have a camper van though. Could goat go in there??!! I can't imagine he'd sanction it mind you! But if ever an emergency...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS