Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pygmy goat horns  (Read 1752 times)

Nicolavickers

• Joined Aug 2012
pygmy goat horns
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:05 am »
Hi we have 2 brother & sister pygmy goats with horns, we have only had them about a month and they are 7 months old. Problem is they are hurting each other with their horns. couple of times they have had a cut to the face. We also own ouessant sheep had them 4 years and we are trying to get them used to each other but i don't want our sheep to get hurt in the process. Can we remove their horns and if so how?

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: pygmy goat horns
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:59:00 pm »
Dehorning a goat is a major operation. Only a vet could do it and it would leave large holes (exposing the skull so I understand) - not to be recommended. Disbudding can be done at about 4 days only by a vet. Either you will have to manage them or sell them and get some disbudded. I am surprised they are hurting each other with their horns unless they stick up all over the place. My boers, bagots and angoras don't have that problem. Good luck

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:51:32 am »
Stop worrying, it's natural for a bit of butting, I am sure they will be fine, agree with cuckoos comments
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:01:22 am »
You could try taping the ends of the horns so not so sharp or perhaps tennis ball on the end of the horns- trial and error to see what may stay on the tips. I agree with what others have said too late for vet to dehorn and as they are still young they may not have established a pecking order yet so should settle down.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:06:33 am by Talana »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS