Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is Lilac edible or harmful?  (Read 1529 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Is Lilac edible or harmful?
« on: June 24, 2015, 07:35:35 am »
I'm wondering whether I can give my pygmy goats some lilac leaves/branches now that it's finished flowering.
I have a list of what's edible for goats and lilac is on there, but I double (and triple) checked online and it's also on the non-edible list on some sites which is very confusing.
So I need to know for sure!
Also, if there is a definitive list of what is and isn't ok, I would really like to have that.
Thanks very much for any input   :wave:
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
Re: Is Lilac edible or harmful?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:14:14 am »
To quote an old adage - 'if in doubt, DON'T'. Better safe than sorry, after all you have found some information that says it's harmful and although slightly conflicting information I would take it as suspect at least. There are many other browsings that your goats will relish, such as brambles, elm branch and apple tree trimmings etc. :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:44:20 am »
There are so many questions about this topic, which is obviously close to smallholders' hearts, that it would be good to have a definitive list for each species, on Rosemary and Dan's main website.  Or at least a sticky on the forum, but that's more difficult to plough through, and may not be complete.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:21 pm »
That's what I need, Fleecewife, a definitive list for goats, sheep etc. so that I don't have to worry about what I give them. Too much conflicting information online.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:47:53 pm »
I give my goats lilac and they've never had problems with it, other than I don't give them what they consider to be enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS