Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hebridean Sheep Society Sale 29th August at Lanark along with Shetland UK sale  (Read 12181 times)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Its either a clever new cross (BFL x BWM)  :idea: or a typo me thinks :thinking:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Intrigued by 'Bluefaced Welsh Mountain Tup lambs'  ???

Its either a clever new cross (BFL x BWM)  :idea: or a typo me thinks :thinking:

If it's a Mule (BFL x any of the Welsh Mountain types) - why on earth would anyone be selling tup lambs? ???
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
I was erring on the 2nd one myself :excited:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs

Are you coming up Sally?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:55:29 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Are you coming up Sally?
Spirit willing, flesh probably too weak.  Lots of work with Katy and the new calves at the moment - lovely but tiring!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
I saw the owner of this sheep last night and it's a typo.....he is not impressed!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
I saw the owner of this sheep last night and it's a typo.....he is not impressed!!

So what it is supposed to be ?  Badgerfaced?

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
yes.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Well Hebridean sale went really well with lots of buyers and sellers enjoying their day - hope the other breeds did as well  - Really strong prices especially in the gimmers classes with the avg being about £108 - top price of the day was £500 for the show champion a cracking 4 horn tup and £210 ( x 3) for  gimmers on the female side - nice to see some friendly faces too!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
I missed the ewe lamb bit Big Light.  What were the prices like there please?

I bought a tup I hadn't intended to  ::) but he is nice and perfect for us (not the £500 one - not right for our Ancient Types - and I don't have 500 quid to spend  :o)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Ewe lambs averaged just over £63 so pretty much all going to the breeders at that price, Top of £100 several times. There was  some really nice ewe lambs but as you know, a ewe lambs a gamble.

I didn't have £500 for a tup either but have made a little arrangement to send a few ewes down to him this year to widen my 4 horn genetic pool. Although probably more in your scene i privately bought a wee 4 horn tup lamb which was brought down from aberdeenshire its 4 horn lines come through a boreland ewe whos a very ugly top knot with Windyhall Raspite and some etal, Harewood, wainstone bemborough and eryri 4 horns in the lines going back. His eye are good and hopefully he will grow nicely

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
FW what tup did you buy ?
 -  Just to give you a laugh i asked the owner to leave the tup lamb whole when i saw the first picture  - hopefully it works out !

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Tup lambs are even more of a gamble. Ewe lambs can be so pretty then grow up into ugly sheep.   I see what you mean about the top knot ewe - not the worlds most beautiful specimen, but she looks mighty hurt that you said so  ;D The tup lamb's genes are interesting.  We bought ours for his genes too, various interesting unrelated lines in there.  We bought the 4 yr old.  Dreading how he'll fit in with the other tups when his 4 weeks quarantine are up.  I'm sure we'll think of something.  We tend to use new tups over only one or two ewes for the first year, after a mistake when we used a beautiful new lad on nearly all the ewes and got a rubbish crop for that year.

Jack, as an aside, did you study zoology at Edin?

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Long time ago :0)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Long time ago :0)

:idea:  :D  I'll tell you why I ask at the Smallholder show, if you haven't worked it out by then.  Mustn't Hi Jack the thread  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS