Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adders snake bite  (Read 7085 times)

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Adders snake bite
« on: June 21, 2015, 10:22:21 pm »
You would never guess this diagnosis I still can't get my head round it -on thur evening one of my goat kids was suddenly poorly she was initially lame on one front leg which was quite swollen as well as her shoulder and as each day went by swelling increased over her chest and flank and tummy the swelling is rapid and unbelievable, she was in shock and cold slobbery nose despite getting antibiotics/ant inflammatory, this morning big dose of another antibiotic and steroid, we've to give her injections for the next week.
Vet's diagnosis was ADDER BITE , at the vet's when we tipped her over you could see clearly one bite mark inside her front leg,I am grateful to our vets who suspected this and knew what to look for.
Tonight she is eating some leaves and has a warm nose so I am hoping she is on the mend, although she's still terribly swollen. My children are now terrified to walk in the field or garden for the grumpy snakes (vet says the cold weather makes them grumpy)
Anyone experience adder bite before on their stock my husband knows another farmer who lost a cow to an adder bite when he told me that well it wasn't very reassuring. Hope poor Magic get's through this.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Adders snake bite
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 10:51:28 pm »
Oh gosh how awful. I hope she continues to improve. Are your goats on very scrubby ground or were the adders just in the grass
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:15:36 am »
Whereabouts are you Telana, to have adders?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:47:07 pm »
The goats are in a grass field next to the house and have access to part of washing green / old garden which has a couple of trees at the edges grass around the washing green part the rest was full of nettles now eaten!
I am in Dunecht, Aberdeenshire. My children been doing a bit of research on internet apparently the adders are everywhere except Ireland and some islands. Good thing only one bite more chance of her pulling through as several bites can be fatal.
I thought she was dead this morning - flat out but luckily she was just cast on her side ,got her up and gave her daily injections and she managed to drink some water only manages a few leaves at a time. Think I'll give her a molasses drench for energy.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:04:49 pm »
My dog found one last week. She is a spaniel and wants to hunt everything out.luckily it retreated under a pallet so dog was ok. We found a very large dead one on the road last year. We are in North Lincolnshire

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 04:24:04 pm »
For adder bite deLevy recommends feeding garlic and rue ( no more than 1 dessert spoon of chopped rue) morning and night. For the site of the bite 2 ounces of pounded wild garlic, 2 ounces of pounded ivy leaves, 2 ounces of oil of turpentine mixed into 4 ounces of olive oil. apply hot cloths to the bite then rub this in around the area.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 06:49:15 pm »
BH says he's had cattle - and sheep - with a lump that he's assumed is an adder bite.

We don't seem to get weather warm enough for them these days... :cold:

I've been told that an adder bite can kill a Labrador.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 11:23:52 pm »
unfortunetly animals quite often deteriorate suddenly a few days later just when you think they're through the worst. The affected area usually goes necrotic & sloughs off if they survive long enough. It depends on the amount of toxin injected. Clostridial infection in the necrotic area is also a strong possibility.  Here's hoping...

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 10:23:32 am »
Any news??

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 11:56:39 am »
She is actually worse still swollen and can't move except her head although she still has a warm nose and I am giving her lectade to drink in a bowl and leaves to eat which she manages, she is propped up with straw and blanket over her and bowl of water/ lectade and leaves at her nose. She is like a pin cushion just now but I'll finish her course of injections and then back to the vet to discuss what next. At the moment I don't think she's going to make we may have to put her down if she doesn't improve as she is still very swollen but I don't know how long it takes for the medication to have an effect. She may just have too much snake poison through her. I'll know more once i have spoken to my vet.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 12:21:00 pm »
Sorry to hear that. :(
It sounds like she's had a bad bite and if she's only small she's taken on a lot of toxin.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 12:31:23 pm »
Oh gosh. Sending you both hugs  :hug:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 12:47:18 pm »
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that. I have never heard of adders up here, so this is now also something in the back of my mind of what can happen...  :fc: she pulls through.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 01:36:53 am »
Hope she comes through, :fc: , I'd try the vet again now if she isn't improving.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:25:33 pm »
Update on Magic- yesterday turned a corner -improvement and hope, washed her chest with capricleanse -starting to weep. Today even better swelling starting to go down she can get her back legs up and she can stand once I help her although unsteady and stiff. Vet says keep on with loxicom every second day til swelling down, thinks shes been lucky, but just have to take one day at a time. Eating well - sticky willy,dandelion, raspberry willow leaves some hay and grass She's definitely preferring sticky willy and dandelion.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS