Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Collected swarm- disappeared!  (Read 1789 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Collected swarm- disappeared!
« on: June 21, 2015, 07:12:07 pm »
Hi all- one of my colonies has swarmed. I knocked into a box and moved it into an empty hive (about 5 yds away). The queen was in the hive as workers were fanning the entrance. This morning they have all gone!

Maybe I should have left the collection box closer to the original swarm site and waited until dusk before moving? (although I thought I should have been close enough for the fanning to have worked?) ? Or was it that they just didn't like the hive?

Any tips to prevent this happening again?

Thanks!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Collected swarm- disappeared!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 08:07:30 am »
They need to be more than three feet away from the original hive the further the better. But sometimes they don't like the accommodation offered! You should have been better dropping them into an upturned box with a space at the bottom so that the foragers can get in and out. Leave them till late evening of early morning to move them into a hive. put some fondant in for them so that they have a ready supply of food. Also if you just have a few frames in the brood box close them down with a blank

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: Collected swarm- disappeared!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:44:06 am »
Hi- thanks for the advice. I'll try that next time. I guess it is just one of those things that sometimes they just don't stick!
cheers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS