Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mohair  (Read 7037 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Mohair
« on: June 20, 2015, 11:06:50 pm »
I've just had my first angora goat fleece sent to me and I'm looking forward to spinning it. I've only ever spun sheep fleece before. Any hints, please?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Mohair
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 11:12:09 pm »
It felts very easily, so take care when washing, don't spin if it's hot and/or your hands are sweaty ;)

Are you planning on spinning it pure, or blending it with something?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:13:03 pm »
I'm not sure. I'd like to spin it on its own but I know it's not as easy as wool to spin.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:09:43 am »
That sounds luxurious MGM.  I'll be very interested in how you get on with it.   Does it fluff up your nose like Angora rabbit?  :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 10:19:11 am »
Well, I haven't tried spinning it on its own, but I think I'd comb it rather than card, and spin worstead from the end.  The fibres are very 'grabby', so using a woollen prep and/or a woollen draw would be beyond me!

I'm currently spinning some dyed kid mohair with mulberry silk from Hilltop Cloud.  The silk makes the mohair glide beautifully and it's an absolute dream to spin.  But I am spinning it worstead - I'm not sure I'd be able to manage it woollen.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 10:20:58 am »
Been thinking about this some more ; I think I'd be inclined to diz the combed fibre into a roving that's the size I want to spin, or pretty nearly, so I don't need to draft much, if at all, when spinning.

But try different things and see what works for you - and please let us know how you get on!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 12:58:18 am »
I believe it's worsted I spin but I'm not too certain of the difference. Isn't woollen when you use the long draw method (whatever that it)?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 01:16:32 am »
Longdraw is one type of woollen, yes.  If you pull the fibres from their ends, that's worstead.  Usually you would work from a combed prep for worstead.  If your fibres are all jumbled up, that'll be woollen - so if you spin from rolags or a batt, it'll be woollen.  There are all gradations and combinations in between - and lots of people who wouldn't agree with my definitions, lol.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 11:17:12 am »
I'll add that worsted is a firm, possibly lustrous, well twisted, strong fibre, with all the fibres aligned along the length of the yarn.  Woollen is light and fluffy with air trapped within the fibre, it's lighter and loftier than worsted-spun, and tends not to drape. The fibres are spiralled as they are spun off the rolag, not aligned like Worsted
As Sally says, most of us do something in between.  I certainly don't do long draw, nor do I do very short draw, but again something in between to suit the staple length.  I have a feeling mohair is normally spun worsted, but I've never spun it so I don't really know.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 11:41:58 am »
I've been religiously spelling it 'worstead' (and putting up with that squiggly red line when the 'puter thinks you've spelled something wrong) after you telling me about how it was named after the place in Norfolk, FW, and then here's your post with it spelled 'worsted'!  :-\   :D

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 07:18:50 pm »
One of Jill's suggestions was to wash it in really hot soapy water to degrease it.
Then tease the locks open with your fingers or with a dog comb and spin from the locks.

I shall have  to find some time to practise spinning it too.  Won't be long before it's time to shear them again.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 08:06:30 pm »
I've been religiously spelling it 'worstead' (and putting up with that squiggly red line when the 'puter thinks you've spelled something wrong) after you telling me about how it was named after the place in Norfolk, FW, and then here's your post with it spelled 'worsted'!  :-\   :D

In common usage, the village is spelt 'Worstead', the cloth is 'worsted' - apparently, from what I've seen.   I too usually spell the cloth 'Worstead', but I gave into the nagging spell check - I'm so weak willed  ;D  :spin:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 10:02:01 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 07:56:58 pm »
As a very novice spinner with angora goats and coloured ryeland sheep I really appreciate these comments. I have been spinning my angora from rolags and on the whole it seems to go ok but I struggle to rid of all the small knots/ seeds with carding once, so I'll try your suggestions.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 10:40:13 pm »
I need to finish spinning the merino/mulberry silk that I bought at Wonderwool this year as I have to make a baby shawl for September - yes, I know I'm leaving it a bit late - then I want to try the mohair. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS