Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi - looking to start the good life in a few years !  (Read 3715 times)

landylovers5

• Joined Jun 2015
Hi - looking to start the good life in a few years !
« on: June 20, 2015, 06:41:34 pm »
Hi everyone, so glad I've come across this forum!  We are a family of 5 currently living on the hamster wheel of life.  Desperately hoping that one day we can buy some land or a smallholding and live our dream. My husband restores old cars and we'd love to have somewhere where he could work from home instead of forking out rent on a workshop. We'd also like to have space to keep our pony at home   :horse: and room for the dogs  :dog:.
At the moment none of the above seems achievable!  We have a mortgage with only about £60k equity and literally no way of raising any more cash.  I would love to hear any stories from people who have been successful in getting their dream lifestyle, any tips/advice etc.  There has to be more to life than the ratrace we are living in now!! ??? ???

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Hi - looking to start the good life in a few years !
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:53:37 am »
I sympathise with your frustrations. Access to land for average people in this country is really difficult and, I would argue, needs significant reform.

We spent a decade in good jobs saving. Few holidays, few luxuries, no horses (or children!), cheap car etc. etc. we will both still be working full time for a few years yet to pay back the bank.

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 01:34:22 pm »
We are in the same boat and too would like to hear stories of making it possible. But for us it's on the rental side.
Hope your dreams come true..  :sunshine:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:40:37 pm »
Well, for us it took a long time. We were in our early 50's before we had enough equity to buy our own smallholding. But.....................
Start small and work your way up. Get an allotment and start growing your own fruit and veg. Great for the children and very therapeutic when you are still on the hamster wheel. :)
Some allotments will let you keep chickens. If not, perhaps your next house move can be to somewhere with a big enough garden for chickens? Once you have been keeping chickens and doing lots of growing for a few years you have taken a large step towards being a smallholder.

Good luck!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 07:40:07 am »
Start small and work your way up. Get an allotment and start growing your own fruit and veg

Absolutely!  :thumbsup:  The self-sufficientish bible (and associated website) are full of really good tips and inspiration on what you can do in a small space or suburban setting. Just get on with what is possible for you, and don't worry about what isn't!  :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:41:41 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:25:02 pm »
I started with growing in my own garden and had bees and chickens. I am fortunate to have a good job, but my partner works from home. We had to move 30 miles away to find somewhere affordable, and so now I have a 2hr daily commute but it means I have the lifestyle I wanted to 3.5 acres.
________
Caroline

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 04:59:35 pm »
It is a difficult and frustrating position to be in. However 60 k is a lot of money and you could buy abroad and be mortgage free. The problem would be paying your bills and keeping your family of 5. I know of Brits who moved here with children and they are now in French schools and parents are either self employed or work in hospitals or cafes etc. Most have small holdings and will sell livestock etc on UK forums to expats.
Oh - if you sell up all the material that goes with being on the hamster wheel then you will be amazed how much cash will have.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

sarab

• Joined Jun 2015
    • New Start, New Life in Bulgaria
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 10:03:56 pm »
We took the drastic step of moving to Bulgaria to do our thing. We could never have done it in the UK. But we are older and have taken early retirement (but still work damned hard) and have no kids either. Our three bed two shower house on half an acre cost us 15k, the cost of utilities is a fraction of the UK. Half an acre doesn't sound a lot, but it is very productive growing land and we have plenty of outbuildings. Sheep, goats and cows do not need fields as they go out with a shepherd every day and roam the hills. Winters are short but harsh so they are happier in their warm stables then.

It's a very poor country with amazing nature, great people and massive culture, but takes a bit of getting used to. And the language....well, the kids do better at learning it, my little grey cells are struggling but we laugh a lot and get by

adrian007

• Joined Dec 2013
    • Axe Head Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:00:43 pm »
Same problem... our solution.

We had £30000 in cash and £60000 in my personal pension. No house or anything to sell to raise money.

We bought 3 fields - 13 acres almost... for £80000 my wife owns the first field, with the cash... my pension owns the next 2 fields and we pay £50pm to rent it off my pension.

Now it's a just question of building a smallholding from scratch on 3 fields with just my income...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS