Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it just me.......  (Read 3864 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Is it just me.......
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:36:50 pm »
To night I said farewell to my two mangalitza weaners.

Due to my illness they had to go so I advertised them on Gumtree, ( had to get cunning with Gumtree ,advertise as pigs it got rejected, but as the breed no problem ) lots of local ads ,farming ads and on this site.
I was quite shocked by some of the respondents, some thought they were micro pigs , other hadnt kept swine before or questions like “ would they be fine in my back garden ? But the killer question I started asking was “ do you have a CPH number ? “  well this became the first question after that.

Lucky for me one reply sounded like the ideal person,  CPH ,check, livestock knowledge ,check,
an intelligent conversation about pig keeping rather than to single grunt replies ( see what I did there ! )
A date was decided, Saturday in fact , great a few more days with them. So last night, Wednesday, I sat in the pen with them and we learnt how to “get in the car “ ( get in the transport crate ) played a bit too , shared a banana and we all had a jolly good scratch.

Today a phone call , “can we collect  them to night ?” I cant say no ,so I rushed home from work.

Pigs can be very perceptive, they knew something was up ,a little quiet and sat next to me for a scratch , bananas and carrots eaten but without the usual enthusiasm.

And then it was time, the new owners arrived , a long chat ( to try and put off the inevitable )and  paperwork done .

I opened the pen door , “ get in the car “ and without question or hesitation into the crate they went. And they were gone.

Silly isn’t it ? A bit of me went with them.

I didn’t cry ,until just now.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Is it just me.......
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 09:51:47 pm »
Nope, it's not just you  ;)

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 10:41:12 pm »
Thank goodness there are still people like you who take time and care and do the right thing by their animals.

Reading your post I shed a little tear with you.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 12:59:47 am »
That's such a touching post...
I saw your previous post about Mangalitzas and wished you were closer as I have them too and really like the breed.
I have a number of pigs and I find it impossible to not get attached to them - they're wonderful animals to have around.
Sounds to me like you gave them great care and thought. Which really matters.
Martha  :hug:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 07:47:57 am »
 :hug: :hug:

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 07:03:37 pm »
A tear shed by me too.....

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 07:08:38 pm »
I think we are all the same when it comes to parting.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 02:13:15 pm »
I have been downsizing my animals, and it does not get any easier.  I can cope with the lambs and goat kids going, as I do not get attached knowing they will be sold, but some of the older ones have gone this week, and how I have managed to not start crying as I helped load them into pick ups I don't know.  I still feel upset even now.  And my stud Anglo Nubian should really go, as I now have his daughters, and really do not want to run two big males, but not sure I can cope with him going!!  And also my Kune Kune sows ......who are really friendly.

So you are not alone.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 02:22:35 pm »
That's made me well up as well (can't cry in the office).

It is always sad saying goodbye to a pet  :hug:
________
Caroline

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 03:24:28 pm »
I'm always sad to see them go, but also happy if they're going to go to nice people who are going to look after them and enjoy them as much as I do.
Will the new owner let you visit them? Or would that just make it worse?
 :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 08:32:42 pm »
No, not just you  :hug:

Well done for doing it well, making sure they have a good home to go to, and training them so the move goes smoothly.  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS