Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vine Weevils  (Read 4255 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Vine Weevils
« on: June 18, 2015, 08:55:13 pm »
I was really looking forward to eating the absolutely ginormous lettuce growing in our polytunnel.  It was magnificent. When I started to wash it though, no fewer than TWELVE Vine Weevils came out.  We've never had them in the polytunnel or outdoors before, but we do get a few walking up the walls in the house, from the house plants.

It's too cold to use the predatory mite yet, even if I could afford it.  I think I have a problem  :rant:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Vine Weevils
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 05:37:07 am »
Hard to know what to do unless you resort to chemical warfare, which is,maybe, ok in pot plants but not in your food.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 09:00:06 am »

Yes, that's the problem.  I never have used, and never will use, pesticides anywhere near my food growing.  I don't really want to let my hens into the tunnel just yet, as too many plants are at a vulnerable stage of growth.  With the next lettuce, I'll see if the problem is widespread.
I think I need to dig and delve around the roots too, as you would for cutworms, to find the white larvae.  Great  ::)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:24:48 am »
I feel for you, i have a vine weevil problem in my greenhouse. Last year was really bad, I bought some nematodes but by then the damage had been extensive and it was nearing the end of the season anyway. They certainly haven't eradicated all the vine weevil as i have them again this year but then it would be really hard to apply them to every inch of the greenhouse.

Like you I wouldnt want to use pesticides so I think nematodes are the only option as far as I know? They are expensive though. The grubs are really easy to see if you dig down into the soil, you might be able to get an idea of how widespread they are.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 10:00:12 am »
Do you have ducks? could you maybe let them in to dabble out the grubs as they might do less damage to your veg than chickens?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 10:08:23 am »
I'd be a bit wary of ducks. :thinking:  Like poultry, I think they're far more likely to have a go at all that succulent vegetation first  :yum:
I believe diatomaceous earth is effective once they emerge to the surface so might help stop them spreading, but of course by then the grubs have done their damage.       

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 11:33:06 am »
We used to have Muscovies, and they trampled everything flat and left masses of droppings everywhere, not to mention the hen rapes. My, they tasted good  :yum:

I love squashing the weevils once I find them, such a satisfying crunch  :o  But I will try the DE.

Yes, I know those grubs Clarebelle - horrid things.  I couldn't find any when I was fossicking around in the soil yesterday, but I have plenty more areas to search.

Thanks folk.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:05:07 pm »
I've dug out all the collapsed lettuces, but there are no more vine weevils, and no grubs of any kind in the roots.  Must have been a one-off, but I'll keep my eyes peeled in case they just move onto something else.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 10:29:55 am »
I've dug out all the collapsed lettuces, but there are no more vine weevils, and no grubs of any kind in the roots.  Must have been a one-off, but I'll keep my eyes peeled in case they just move onto something else.
If they have collapsed and there is no signs of bugs it could be sclerotinia?
I've had this before...one minute they are fine, next they've copped it.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 11:45:28 am »
If they have collapsed and there is no signs of bugs it could be sclerotinia?
I've had this before...one minute they are fine, next they've copped it.

I'll look that up.   I assumed it was some kind of fungal disease, maybe caused by insufficient ventilation and standing with wet leaves (see, I can blame hubby for that  :relief:)  How would I prevent sclerotinia?

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 03:13:34 pm »
The thing with sclerotinia is that lots of crops can get it - potatoes, carrots, peas, parsnips lettuce, brassicas to name some.
Tends to occur with the sclerotia (the fruiting bodies) release the spores and then landing on plants to start the infection.  As wide a rotation as possible.  Good health regime - bin any infected material - I wouldn't compost.
Good air flow and if growing in a tunnel try not to have the conditions too wet or humid.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 05:07:27 pm »
Thank you  :).  I do all the rotation, chuck out any suspicious remains rather than put them in the compost heap, etc.  It doesn't look as if anything else is affected, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I will definitely be upping the ventilation, and doing the watering myself  :garden:.  Usually ventilation up here is too much and something to be reduced, but we can't leave the tunnel open at night so it can get a bit humid first thing, at this time of year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS