Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck food raider  (Read 3578 times)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Duck food raider
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:03:04 am »
For the past week something has raided the bowl of layers pellets in the duck run during the night. The ducks are shut into a small pen with a house, the food is outside that but within an enclosure with a stream trickling through it.  Overnight, the bowl of pellets is covered with a sheet of plywood with half a concrete building block on it. Yet every morning the cover has been slid to one side and a very small amount of food taken. It's not really a problem, but I am puzzled as to what animal can be strong enough to shift the weight and be interested in layers pellets!! I thought any mammals up to to the job would be carnivores.
Although of course this is Devon, so there might still be a few small dinosaurs lurking about.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Duck food raider
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 09:26:35 am »
badger?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 10:57:26 am »
Something which can swim up from the stream?  Mink?

Can you see how the animal gets into the enclosure - digging, climbing etc?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 01:20:19 am »
otter probably - curious little blighters

Ian

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 06:51:19 am »
There is no obvious way in for a large animal like a badger, and no signs of any other damage etc. mink could get in, and possibly a small otter - but that would be impressive to have one of those around. I would happily leave the lid off if that's all that would help themselves. Roland is ever present however.
Thank you for those suggestions.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 01:20:11 pm »
I'd try putting some damp sand around it to see what tracks are left  :thumbsup:.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 01:57:38 pm »
My bet is a big, fat, grey squirrel.  They're pretty strong for their size.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 09:10:14 am »
Brilliant idea Womble!! I will do it tonight.
I hadn't thought of a squirrel, but In fact that is the most likely culprit. They now know it would be suicide to attack my bird feeders in daylight, but night time raids are a possibility.
Thank you both.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 10:33:43 am »
Yes, I thought .... 'squirrel'.

They can lift the lids off our galvanised metal bins to get at the chicken pellets stored in there, even when house bricks are popped on top!

Couldn't work out why the bin lids were always off until I caught them 'red pawed'.   ;D

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 10:59:39 am »
Yes, I thought .... 'squirrel'.

They can lift the lids off our galvanised metal bins to get at the chicken pellets stored in there, even when house bricks are popped on top!

Couldn't work out why the bin lids were always off until I caught them 'red pawed'.   ;D

Yep, exactly the same here.  I now secure the lids with bungee cords.  They made a go at chewing the first one off but I replaced it right away and they gave up.  A bit scary how smart they are!
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 08:10:41 am »
I tried the damp sand idea of Womble's last night and it worked. It's a squirrel. So now I'll see if it can lift the lid with a whole building block on it. I can only just manage it myself. A Bungee cord might be easier.
Anyway, thank you all for your help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS