Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Donkey visit for disabled gentleman  (Read 5709 times)

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
Donkey visit for disabled gentleman
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:02:48 pm »
Hi,
 Wasn't sure where to post this and sorry if in the wrong place.
I was hoping to try and find someone that has donkeys near or within a hour of Monmouth, that I could bring a disabled gentleman in wheelchair to visit.
I'm a support worker for 5 disabled adults and one of my gentleman loves donkeys. This gentleman has dementia, so when we have something that he can remember and hold on to, we try and encourage it..  I know this is a tall ask and not what the site is for but know there is a lot of good people on here...
 :wave:
Thank you for your time
Diane

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
Re: Donkey visit for disabled gentleman
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:05:58 pm »
These folks are about twice as far away as you were hoping for, but I hear they are lovely http://dyfidonkeys.blogspot.co.uk/ -- just in case that's helpful.  Good luck, it sounds like a very nice thing you are aiming to do!
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 07:24:28 pm »
The Donkey Sanctuary at Sidmouth in Devon won't be able to help direct but may well offer a suggestion.

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 07:48:44 am »
 :wave: lovely request and helpful responses. I got so carried away by the lovely Dyfi Donkeys blog that I'm in danger of being late for work!!

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 03:09:53 pm »
I made it to work with a minute to go hehe. Thank you for your replies.... Problem I have is limited time out and about.. 

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 06:11:26 pm »
We used to live in Sidmouth.
Every flaming field is full of blooming donkeys, making that god-awful noise they make. If I had lived near the Donkey Sanctuary I would have wanted a rebate on my Council Tax.
Donkeys are taking over East Devon.
Apologies to all you donkey lovers but you are welcome to them...... cant stand them myself
Is it time to retire yet?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 07:54:14 am »
Every flaming field is full of blooming donkeys, making that god-awful noise they make. If I had lived near the Donkey Sanctuary I would have wanted a rebate on my Council Tax.
Apologies to all you donkey lovers but you are welcome to them...... cant stand them myself

:o :o :o

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 02:26:45 pm »
:roflanim: Don't go to Weymouth beach in the summer then - more Donkeys! :innocent:

Salian

• Joined Jul 2015
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 09:21:53 am »
Hi.  We have two donkeys and we are easily within an hour of Monmouth (45mins max)  I also work with the elderly and dementia sufferers and I would be very pleased to share the delights of our donkeys with your gentleman.

We also have a lovely aviary, lots of chicks and chickens and 5 dogs.  The dogs are very friendly German Shepherds but as they are so large I can leave them indoors if preferred.

I'm not sure how to give you a contact number but if you are interested in visiting please respond to this note.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:01:20 am by Salian »
Salian, and company

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 05:02:00 pm »
Thanks Salian I'll pm you.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 05:39:08 pm »

Hi,
 Wasn't sure where to post this and sorry if in the wrong place.
I was hoping to try and find someone that has donkeys near or within a hour of Monmouth, that I could bring a disabled gentleman in wheelchair to visit.
I'm a support worker for 5 disabled adults and one of my gentleman loves donkeys. This gentleman has dementia, so when we have something that he can remember and hold on to, we try and encourage it..  I know this is a tall ask and not what the site is for but know there is a lot of good people on here...
 :wave:
Thank you for your time
Diane
What a lovely thought. I'm sure it'll make his day. :sunshine:
I have several donkeys (which rarely make a noise) and last year when we had an open day in our village, I took 2 of them for a walk round. We came across an old gentleman being taken round in his wheelchair and stopped for a chat. He was so thrilled to be able to stroke the donkey, talk to them and have his photo taken with them.
Sometimes the simplest of things give the most pleasure. :thumbsup:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 09:30:44 pm »
The gentleman I support has Limited speech and very limited movement of his arms. But hes love for animals really lights up his face when around then... When I first positioned this topic on here, I took him the Cwmbran community farm. I have to say I used muscles that day that I didnt know I had.. Every thing was on a hill so nightmare going down hill and hell getting back up.. The worst hill was on the way out near the cafe and oh my god I was so out of breath that I couldn't talk and was breathing so hard, it had my gentleman laughing so hard everyone was looking at us and I just had to laugh myself... It was a pleasure to see him smile so much, never if it was at my expense lol.  :roflanim:
I just wish we could take him out more but the good old council have limited their one to one time and we have 6 clients on 24 hour support. And I don't always have him for this one to one time.
A very kind lady on here has said we can visit and I hope to be able to do that soon if the offer is still open. :fc: :fc:

Salian

• Joined Jul 2015
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 08:54:20 am »
of course the offer is still open .........   Bill and Ben the donkeys are waiting patiently .....
Salian, and company

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 07:18:45 pm »
Just a thought but any chance Bill and Ben could visit the gentleman and meet his friends. Maybe some funding for the travel and time from a local source? Could make more than one person smile at once!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS