Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat Population Explosion  (Read 5096 times)

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
Rat Population Explosion
« on: June 17, 2015, 11:11:15 am »
Has anyone else experienced a dramatic increase in the rat population this year? Rats will usually always appear where livestock and poultry are kept, but numbers can normally be kept down with the safe use of poisons except when they have become the so called 'super rats' that tolerate poison without much effect.  However, despite using different professional poisons with some sucess this year, the population has increased exponentially so I guess that they are indeed becoming resistant to it. I have now resorted to shooting them as well, so far in 4 days I've accounted for 40 rats of various sizes (plus the big one that tried to get into the pigs trough while they were eating and was promptly trodden on by a pig - well done Daisy! ;D . There are a few more to get so I suppose it's off to get some more cartridges, at least they are cheaper than the poison!
Also, interestingly I've noticed the 'arrival' of a large contingent of Jackdaws this year, not seen them here before, i've counted up to a dozen trying to grab some of the goose food.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Rat Population Explosion
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 12:28:48 pm »
We find rats come and go so suddenly you can have a population explosion. I read recently that we don't put down enough poison as we under estimate how many rats we have and we don't put poison down for long enough. That was from a professional rat catcher.

We also find they go through stages of taking bait then not taking it although we know they are around.

Good luck with the shooting. At least they don't die out of sight and stink to high heaven!

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 03:46:10 pm »
We've got a few more than usual but not as many as we did have one year previously.  We've found the only way to kill any number is to shoot them too.  Poison...they seem to be immune.  Traps...they're too big for them.  My sheepdog does a good job at getting the smaller ones and some big ones.  Also we find them dead in water buckets and sometimes the horses will squash the odd one.  Wish we could get rid of the rats once and for all though.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 04:23:58 pm »
Yes, I have been horrified by the amount of rats.  Seen them by the pigs, the hens, even in our blooming garden., But the cats have been catching them, and I think ....well hope, they have got all if not most of them.  There again, they only need to miss two, and off we go again. Think the mild winter we had meant more survived and bred.  Its a phobia of mine, one think that freaks me out is rats.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 05:26:41 pm »
Im 100% with you Roxy. I have nightmares about them. Its the ONLY thing I hate about being a smallholder.
What the F*** are they for anyway?
HATE them
Is it time to retire yet?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 08:03:07 pm »
My cats are quite good at getting them and the Jack Russell. I did put down poison hidden in a drain pipe but they never went near. Clever we creatures.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 11:59:33 pm »
I had an explosion in rats last year but poisoning  as well as clearing all the rubbish the could hide under - (except for 2 small areas which we keep well baited) managed to move them on- Not seen any signs since february touch wood...
Ian

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 11:59:30 am »
There will be another ten for every one that you see.  I bait all year round and leave a 30cm gap around the inside of barns to encourage them to use them as "corridors" for getting around - ideal place to put bait stations.  I also mix bait with a little of the feed in the sacks as I find they accept it more quickly.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 09:53:41 pm »
Same here this year, getting through so much poison we can't believe it's only rats taking it!  :o

And yes, lots of jackdaws too.

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:13:08 am »
got a 'stray/semi feral' cat from the cat rescue :cat:  to see if it will help..... meant to keep in a shed for first 2 weeks, but it scratched its way out of shed first night, but is coming back each night for food (seen on trail cam)
hopefully getting a few rats and mice.

lots of the rescue places offer them as mousers and next to no work to keep as they don't want contact

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 10:45:42 am »
Do bear in mind that they may carry toxo and infect your sheep and cattle and, indeed, children and pregnant women.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 11:04:20 am »
I didn't think that adult cats spread toxo, but I could be wrong.

We have cats, and have also seen a couple of rats this year (never had them before).  They're very trap-shy though.

I haven't tried poison yet, as we have cats and dogs who I worry might eat any dead ones they come across.  Is there a rat poison available that won't cause secondary poisoning?  (I asked in the agricultural store, but was told no).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 11:14:41 am »
My understanding is that cats shed toxo only for a few weeks after they are first exposed to it, and after that generally develop immunity.  So I figure my sheep are in fact safer from toxo with my cats around, because mine have almost certainly been exposed and are well past shedding it and now immune, and they will keep strange cats away who might be in the shedding phase.  And my two are enthusiastic hunters and I have yet to see a rat.

Here's a link.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 02:14:33 pm »
Update - Goods news here, after a concerted combined effort of both shooting and poisoning (using proper bait stations) no rats or evidence of rat activity seen for several weeks now. All runs/tracks grown over, holes collapsed after rain, no feed taken, rat bait untouched. :) .
So I guess I'm all clear at the moment but as the saying goes 'nature abhors a vacuum' so I'm keeping on guard as others are bound to try to move in sooner or later - it's a constant war. ::) .

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 03:26:31 pm »
If you're in an area with arable fields they'll be coming in off the fields after harvest.  That's the time to lay loads of bait and nip the overwintering families in the bud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS