Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone with unwanted cockerels?  (Read 8622 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Anyone with unwanted cockerels?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 06:34:55 pm »

I think fighting cocks are certain breeds bred for just that

They still need to practice, though? Around here it's a public secret that dogs that are stolen or are advertised as 'free for a good home' are used similarly by the gypsies. Ducks have been stolen too. Dead puppies were dumped for a while in one particular road. Then there's live bait, ferret and snake food... My own pot or the vet for me anytime. Never nice, but necessary.
Burg456t, I know it's a very, very slim chance but if you're driving down into Hertfordshire anytime soon we'll despatch the bird for you whilst you're here.

A black skinned chicken is not going to be fit for the restaurant trade, even their meat and bones are dark coloured. We has a silkie cockerel going in the pot once - it was so weird, it looked like something out if The Adams Family...

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 07:23:18 pm »

I think fighting cocks are certain breeds bred for just that

They still need to practice, though? Around here it's a public secret that dogs that are stolen or are advertised as 'free for a good home' are used similarly by the gypsies. Ducks have been stolen too. Dead puppies were dumped for a while in one particular road. Then there's live bait, ferret and snake food... My own pot or the vet for me anytime. Never nice, but necessary.
Burg456t, I know it's a very, very slim chance but if you're driving down into Hertfordshire anytime soon we'll despatch the bird for you whilst you're here.

A black skinned chicken is not going to be fit for the restaurant trade, even their meat and bones are dark coloured. We has a silkie cockerel going in the pot once - it was so weird, it looked like something out if The Adams Family...

Gypsies also eat roasted hedgehogs but I have never met one yet that has.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 07:59:45 pm »

I'm talking about police reports.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 09:43:07 am »

I'm talking about police reports.

Oh I thought you said "public secret".

At the end of the day we all have a responsibility as to what we do with our surplus.  Giving away for free or next to nothing, bearing in mind that is sometimes the worth,  will always attract that element in our society that will then exploit the situation for their own gain etc. I'm afraid those people come from all walks of life.

In the current climate which seems to be all about different cultures and our reactions to them I don't really care for "tarring with the same brush".

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 10:48:17 am »
Oh, how noble of you...

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 06:43:37 pm »
If anyone wants a big chunky and friendly cockerel I've one that is crossbred Splash Orpington x Crested Cream Legbar.  A SO boy got into the CCL hens by mistake and 2 of the new hatched eggs were black/grey so no head markings to autosex on the night I went to collect day olds, so I took the purebreds plus these 2 just in case - the other turned out to be a nice wee blue/grey hen with a crest so not a complete loss.

He was hatched Highland Show week late June, never aggressive to date, could be culled and eaten but not by me cos I'm a vegetarian!  If he were a purebred Legbar, Welsummer or something else I have pure hens of, I'd keep him for hatching eggs, but I don't think he's much in demand for his gene pool as he is.

Meantime I'm just feeding him like the rest just now, for little purpose except wussiness and the fact he has a clean slate behaviourally so far (7-8 months old).
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 03:51:03 pm »
Hi there - I do have a cockerel free to a good home if anyone is interested. He's a mixed breed with some Sussex. At the moment he is the only cockerel on the small holding looking at our last 8 hens. We're selling all the birds so hopefully we can find him a good home.

Anyone interested, send me a message. We also have Norfolk geese, Bronze turkeys and Pekin ducks for sale!

Best.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS