Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how long to hang.....  (Read 18192 times)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
how long to hang.....
« on: June 15, 2015, 08:25:38 am »
Apologies for reminder of the 'end game' for some of us pig keepers..... but I'm really interested to know other's experience of the best length of time to hang pork before butchering...

In our first year they hung for 10 days (delicious), second year we think was longer than 10 days (also delicious), this year we're probably using a different abattoir and they've said no point hanging for more than 7 days.....

So, what does the 'voice of TAS' say is best......?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: how long to hang.....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:29:57 am »
My opinion is that 7 days for pork is plenty - but you would notice less than that.  But TBH, that's gut feel and my butcher's advice.  I have had beautiful pork that'd hung for longer, but I am sure that the flavour would have been just as good at 7 days.  Breed and feeding are more important beyond that.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:08:48 pm »
Pork needs a day to 'set up'  - that is to become firm enough to be easy to butcher.

Beef benefits from being hung as a process called proteolysis tenderizes the carcasses -  nowadays it is popular to hang to 21 or even 28 days.

Lamb - young lambs don't really benefit, but hoggets should be hung for a week.  We only eat hogget here - best meat !

There is very little evidence of the same kind of proteolytic action taking place in hanging pig carcasses, and the general opinion is that you can butcher pork after 24 hours, and it doesn't benefit from being hung longer.

BUT it also does no harm to hang for up to 21 days, so if your butcher can't cut immediately don't worry.

Some people do think that pork should be aged, but taste and texture are very subjective !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:02:30 am »
The problem with hanging pork for more than a few days to a week is that that wonderful skin which we need as part of the finished cooked product will deteriorate. Either it will dry up and go hard in a draughty chiller, or it will start to get slimy and smelly if the atmosphere is too moist. As said above a pig carcass needs to set for a day or two but then get on with it I say.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:17:42 am »
I've not experienced any issues with skin deterioration, but I use a good butcher who knows his stuff, and will hang correctly.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:44:52 am »
Temperature in the room where it hangs is crucial too, not too warm but nicely chilled
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 01:24:33 pm »
When I refer to hanging I assume it is in a chiller. Hanging pork at ambient temperature would result in some pretty smelly stuff pretty quickly.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 11:31:07 pm »
The best pork we have had has hung in our fridge for 7 days even though the abattoir owner said it was dangerous due to bacteria????  The last pig he did for us was killed and picked up two days later still floppy and not good.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 06:24:16 pm »
Thanks all.  Well, for various reasons we're going for a week this year... Have high hopes....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS