Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking machine issues  (Read 1750 times)

scruffbag

• Joined Nov 2012
Milking machine issues
« on: June 14, 2015, 06:31:20 pm »
I have just finished building my 4 yoke milking parlor and went to test our milking machine only to run in to difficulties, i'm sure its something really simple, can some one please tell me whats wrong.
Its a 2 claw fulwood machine with a single dump bucket that i got second hand, i have got brand new pulse and milk lines throughout all thick walled. turn it on and comes to vacuum really quickly and sits perfectly just at 48kpa (according to the installed gauge) and the relief valve sucking. before putting a goat near it i tested it on my thumbs, good pulse and suction(in fact after 30 seconds my thumbs were getting sore?), i put the first goat on a sannan cross that kidded 4 days ago, i hand milked a little first, a lot there but when i plugged her in nothing came out other than a couple of drips, i could see the pulsator squeezing well on and off, tried one of the other goats a GG that i have been hand milking for a few weeks and after looking good as 300ml came flying out she too stopped, look like that may have all come from one side too. when the suction to dump buckets it on the pressure drops a little to 40-45kpa due to a little flow past the ball in the claws when nothings on them.
my thoughts are that either the pulsator not releasing/pulling hard enough or the vacuum may be too high?
any thoughts would be useful and thanks in advance.

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Milking machine issues
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:23:26 pm »
Hi,
Have your goats been used to a machine before?

Years ago when we were going away for a few days I managed to get someone who had had hand milked a goat before to look after my girls.  When she can over for a 'get to know you session' and tried to milk my girls, who were good milkers, well if I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it.  They 'held up' their milk.  You could see the udder retracting. 

Maybe this is was is happening with yours.  They are 'holding up' their milk. 

As my mum used to say "I know nothing about the steam navigation of a dung barrow" but maybe the suction is too strong and they don't like it?  If your thumb was getting sore after 30 seconds think about the delicate nature of the newly kidded udder      :thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS