Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Half acre new orchard. What to plant?  (Read 11822 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Half acre new orchard. What to plant?
« on: June 07, 2015, 11:52:36 am »
Planning some planting for this winter. Idea is to have half an acre and run 50 or so hens around it in rotating nets with the house at the centre. Couple or 3 Shropshire sheep to mow when it needs it. I want sweet fruit for the family all year as my boys eat loads of apples which cost us a fortune,so maybe 1000 eating apples a year. 3 or 4 cooking apples a week would be nice and the rest for cider.  Also thinking of some plum trees but I may grow these in the veg garden as hedge plants or something.

What sort of numbers am I looking at for each type as I'm guessing 20 trees or so total?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Half acre new orchard. What to plant?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 01:31:37 pm »
Fruit trees take a while to build up volume of produce.  When I moved in here I planted 5 apple trees and three plum trees.  One of the plum trees produced 25 plums last year, absolutely delicious red ones that were eaten straight from the tree.  The other two and most of the apples have not been so successful.  I'm hoping for a better crop this year.

My 4 rasps, 2 blackcurrants and 1 gooseberry bushes are brilliant!  And the one of each white and redcurrants will hopefully be good this year too.

Since there is just me, with extra for friends and relatives when there's a surplus, this number of trees/bushes is fine.
Hope that helps
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:01:43 pm »
Hi Stereo,  I'd be looking for a good variety of trees known to be suited to your local conditions. I'd also be looking for some early and some late varieties, to extend the fruiting season, and a good mix of eating / juicing / cider and cooking apples, plus maybe a plum tree or two.

When we planted our wee orchard, we had excellent advice and service from Adam's Apples. It's worth giving them a call just in case they answer with "Hello, Adam's Apples, Adam speaking!"  :roflanim: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 03:36:29 pm »
I second Adam's apples as a source.

There's lot of ways of going about this. Here there was an established orchard of a half dozen or so apples and some other fruits..but all neglected. I heavily thinned and pruned the mess and took aou a couple fo overcrowded trees. What's left provides plenty apples.. but all at once; though I get aroudn some of that by stewing and freezing.

If the cost of trees isn't off putting then you could plaigerise part of my plan...I put i a whole row of trees I;m training as espaliers along a 200yd fence line. Actually one side with a mowable gap between for easy access both sides. That has some 25 apples, 5 pears, half a dozen cherries and the rest gages and plums. It is a slowish process training them into their layers and fans (for the stone fruit) so I added a couple of extra plum trees and half a dozen dwarf cherries.

I'm actually now thinking of adding 20 more cherries and another half dozen pears into a spare area..just because it'll take time for good cropping from the rest. But last year was the third year with the espaliers and i got about a half-dozen apples from each tree... a whole selection of early, middle and late season varieties. I'd expect that crop to double this year and again next year and again the year after... 2-3 dozen per tree. And when properly complete as the framewok I plan each tree will be 3-4 layers about 14 foot spread

The good think about espaliers is that they are easy to spray and pick from.. crop heavier than you'ld think, make an attractive fenceline when flowering and don't take up much room. So you get heaps of varieties into an area.

You could get even more adventurous with things like step-over apples around flower borders and veggie patches too.

Don't forget to look into apricots - goldcot being a cold hardy variety, possible peaches and nectarine if you live more south.

You can also think about some kiwi growing into trees and even grapes.

As the resident nutter I always suggest you stick some walnuts, sweet chestnut, filberts and almonds in too. If not for you then for your descendents.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:03:00 pm »
Lot's to think about. We've got some big SC trees up in the wood so plenty of them although I was thinking of planting a stand to coppice for timber which will probably benefit my descendants more than me but no point moaning that my forefathers didn't bother to do it if I don't do it myself.

I like the idea of fruit bearing fences between veg beds. We are just working out how much veg we want to plant for our own use and maybe some to sell at the gate or even feed surplus to piggies.

For an orchard, what sort of rootstock is recommended in terms of mowing or grazing under the trees. I would hope not to have to take a vehicle in there and leave it to sheep and chickens but I've got a friend who has the big trees (M25?) and she says it's a bit of a pain to harvest and prune etc. Maybe it would be better to grow cider apples on big tree and pick them up when they fall and for others, on fences?  Definitely will be doing plums. We had a tree when I was a kid and there was nothing tastier in the world.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 02:38:38 pm »
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=359

lots of roostock choices above.

Just to add... pears very under-rated. eat too many apples and get the sh1ts... can eat pears all day long.
Also remember thers plenty of pear and plum varieties - it's not just conference and victoria :) . And pear juice is super too.
Cheap trees early in the year from lidl and the like are limited in variety but way cheap.. so consider getting those as well as your special order options which will cost more.

Just to add more to think about.. consider medlar (not that i care for them but you might), quince, defo if you can a black mulberry, a fig or three if you have a good site for them. And if you're as insane as I am then lemons, grapefruit etc but it's a pain dragging them in and out of winter quarters - big pots get heavy!

And to add to soft fruit options beyond the usual currants and gooseberries and blueberries and cranberries there's also honeyberry, kiwi &grape I mentioned before, passionfruits, all the hybrid raspberries.. jostaberries etc. And for the dyed in the wool nutter frost tolerant varieties of pecan (for your grandchildren?) etc

Knock yourself out with this link: http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/plantorders.html

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 03:07:08 pm »
I know Shropshire sheep are often touted as suitable for grazing areas with trees, whether forestry or orchard types, but I know a couple of people who've tried it and they were not impressed.  The sheep will nibble the tips of young branches, even if they don't bark the trees themselves, as my Badger Face will.  Locally we have the Marcher Apple Network which will give advice on which varieties do best.  You may have something similar in your own area.  Some varieities will ripen in August, some not until December - don't forget you'll need a dry, frost-proof, mouse-proof store.  In this area damson trees were planted in the hedgerows - they flower 3 weeks before apple trees and give the bee colonies an early boost of nectar so the colonies are strong when the orchards flower.

adrian007

• Joined Dec 2013
    • Axe Head Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 10:41:00 pm »
I'm just in the midst of planting my orchard area.

Adams Apples gives you a great description of what you need for apples to narrow down varieties and for over 25 trees was giving a discount.

Half an acre is 2000 sq meters. You plant apples out at 5m spacing - means a 50m x 40m space has room for up to 80 trees, less space for the chicken house etc.

There's some awesome apples to choose - Beauty of Bath, Orleans Reinette etc and some exciting apples for ciders.

Don't forget some crab apples, whcih can be used in cider, but also pollinate all types of apple - and to plant the apples next to suitable others for polination.

In addition, plant some Italian Alder amongst the orchard trees - it is nitrogen fixing, so will help your crops.

Can I just add - bamboo is a cool idea as well - the dead leaves area at the bottom is a brilliant home for insects and chickens will love scratching for them

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 09:55:50 am »
Those cheap fruit trees from llidle are they going to grow into full size trees? Would they take a lot longer than grafted trees?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:51 pm »
The cheap trees from lidle are still grafted and as per the other thread it's the rootstock that governs size.
The lidle/aldi B&M etc type trees tend to be limited varieties of oen or two of the more popular types. The advantage of someone like adam's apples is that he has the knowledge to advise varieties for your part of the country. Not that that should stop you sticking a few cheap ones in as well. Indeed i plan to add to my cherry and pear numbers with some cheapo lidl type trees this winter.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 10:58:02 am »
I'm not going to bother with apple trees. There are loads of apple trees near main roads if you look, the theory is decades ago someone threw an old apple core out the window.

Pears, plums, are my two main interests.

I would love some citrus maybe nectarines but I don't want to have to move them every frost. What else can be grown in S, Wales?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 11:41:04 am »
We grow Mirabelles, which are absolutely delicious and crop well every year.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 11:46:00 am »
The real questions are whether you can actually sell anything or whether it's for own use..'cso there's only so much you can eat and folk generally don't want to buy low quality fruit..so commercial growing is a serious business.
Knock yourself out with this link.. an amazing selection might well grow in S Wales
https://www.agroforestry.co.uk/product-category/plants/

I do move my citrus into winter quarters..and yes they get heavier every year.

Apart from the usual apples, pears, plums (several varieties) cherries, gages, medlars I;ve got here I've also got an apricot, peach (neither has borne yet) hazel, walnut, sweet chestnut, almond, monkey puzzle (yes they have edible seeds too), pecans, hickory nuts... but those nut trees will probably not bear in my lifetime. There;s soft fruit bushes of course.. everyhting from blueberries through honey berries to jostaberries and currants... but with all that sort of stuff it's a question of whether you can protect it from the birdies..much as the cherries and the wasps on the plums and damsons.

In the west country they are successfully growing tea, you could also consider grapes, kiwi, passion fruit and everything I've forgotten - blackthorn for the sloes (but I rip them up after all the punctures), elderberry, rosehips, blackberries.... it's endless.. Oh, how about a strawberry tree they grow in west Ireland? And never forget the figs!- the sexiest fruit you can grow.

As for your disdain of apples.. well go look at some of the varieties available that you can't easily buy - heritage russets, juicing apples...it all depends on your market and micro climate.. theres even folk trying to grow their own dates.

In my madder past I've grown bananas, figs, grapes and pineapple. I've tried unsuccessfuly with the bread fruit, avocado and sapodilla and lychee (yes in greenhouses although the banana spent the winter in the dining room|)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 09:41:52 pm »
I'm not interested in selling, only for eating for my large family, extended,

But the seasons are so short, I'm interested in freezing the excess. Hope it will last until the next harvest.

Freezing locks in goodness, I know it's not as good as fresh it's watery and not as good texture, but the goodness is still there, and what's important to me is that my fruit has no pesticides and that it hasn't been picked before its ripe then spent weeks being transported and stored so that it LOOKS ripe on the shelf.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:43:29 pm by Orinlooper »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 10:52:06 pm »
I suggest you look at it the other way around... what's fresh long season.. as in early rhubarb, storing apple varieties and bletted medlars for the season's end. look at dried fruit options too and possibly bottling fruit or your leccy bill is going to be huge. Grapes are fairly late season too.. dessert, juicing , wine. Figs are super fresh but obviously can be dried too as can apple and pear slices. Gooseberries freeze well as do plums and gages and stewed apple and pears.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS