Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Shropshire  (Read 1918 times)

Kevmat7171

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Shrewsbury
Hello from Shropshire
« on: June 06, 2015, 12:57:02 pm »
I have been wanting to join a forum for a long while now...but have been reluctant due to my limited knowledge. I own a 4.5 acre field which has had no sprays or chemicals put on it for over a decade now as the field has been owned by family previously. Is the grass of any value as a local farmer will cut it but isn't keen on payment? Thought I'd kick off with this question and would really appreciate anybody's thoughts or idea's. Cheers Kev :farmer:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Hello from Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:24:39 pm »
 :wave: also from Shropshire. Not sure what you can do about your field. Are you planning on using it or could you rent it out to someone who wants grazing land?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 06:24:32 am »
Hello :wave: from Devon. Most farmers these days will cut, bale and take away but expect to be paid to do it, especially when hay is plentiful and they've got enough of their own ,which is fair enough.
Cattle, then sheep will graze it down. Put an ad at your local agricultural merchants or at the market. Good luck :)
What are your plans for the land?

Kevmat7171

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Shrewsbury
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:34:31 pm »
Hi Devonlady....many thanks for your response re: grass cutting. That's fair enough then I shall ask him politely to cut it for me!! Future plans I am not sure what to do as we are a 20 min drive away from the land and so daily or early hour comittment would be a challenge due to work (school hours ) but really would love to have a go at putting some kind of low maintenance livestock on it! We have had  enquiries from horsey types but I'm again unsure of costs to charge and my obligations in these matters. I shall make enquiries though.. Kev

baffledog1

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 07:11:34 pm »
Welcome from Shropshire/Herefordshire borders. :wave:
I found myself in a similar situation until a year ago.The local farmers were more than happy to cut a 4 acre field and remove the hay. Then graze it with sheep which improved the grass a great deal. They also gave me a cash bonus for the grazing when finished. Much depends on what condition the fencing is in though. Hope you have some luck with it. Just be aware that horses unless managed well, can be nightmare on land.

Kevmat7171

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Shrewsbury
Re: grass cutting / livestock
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 10:42:00 pm »
Hi baffledog 1.....thanks for your reply...I did hear that horses were particularly tough on the ground but do provide a bit of income. what about pigs?? Are they difficult to keep? Neighbours would love them I bet  :excited:..my plan is that im looking at getting out of current job early if possible and any ideas of how to that with the land i have would be great..  I suppose the land isn't really big enough....may look into motorhome or caravan storage as its well screened off from public view. Many thanks Kev  :farmer:

baffledog1

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 01:06:36 pm »
I suggest that you sit down and think what you want to get from the land. I mean personal satisfaction, or an income, you can get both but could be limited on that acreage with your commitments. I am lucky enough to work from home and the sheep/lambs, pigs,chickens and geese are a hobby. I do sell some and they provide meat for the freezer. If I did the maths though I would be making a loss,but worth it for me as it is something I enjoy.

We are not far away PM me if you need any further info.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS