Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fledgling on the ground  (Read 1911 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Fledgling on the ground
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:00:27 am »
Just in case any wildlife experts are on-line, I need some quick advice about a bluetit fledgling. It is hopping around on the ground underneath the nestbox. Has been there for about 25 mins and is quite exposed. How long should I leave it before I intervene?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Fledgling on the ground
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:19:33 am »
when the cat knocked a nest down we put the fledgings in a brooder, fed them worms (urgh) and got the sspca to take them away. never heard from them again.  :eyelashes:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:33:38 am »
How well developped is it?  Has it got a full set of feathers, apart from fluffy ones on its back?  Can it fly?  Keep cats and corvids away and keep watch.  If one of the parents returns to feed it then it may have fledged.  if not could you replace it in the nest?

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:44:37 am »
It has started to rain so I tried putting it back in its box, but it refused to go! It's feathers are well developed and it has tried to fly but only gets a couple of inches off the ground.  The parents are flying around but are not coming to the ground. I think I will try to out it on a branch to see if that helps.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:01:36 pm »
Yes, put it on a branch, under some leafy cover.  :fc:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 01:36:24 pm »
It seemed to like the small branch that I put it on. It was in quite dense foliage so I wasn't able to see what happened next. However, it is not there now, nor is it on the ground. Lets just hope that it all turned out right in the end.  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS