Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: totally heartbroken  (Read 5536 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
totally heartbroken
« on: May 30, 2015, 08:28:59 pm »
we lost our goat Daisy last night from Johnes disease.  :'( :'( :'(
She was our very first goat and was the catalyst for what we have now, she taught us so much and we are all the better for having her in our lives for the last 3 years.

She had been diagnosed a year ago after she'd kidded and right up until the last week she'd been doing ok but last night she died in my arms but I would not like anyone else to go through what we've been through.
After her diagnosis we took the decision to vaccinate all the herd, despite our vet being somewhat sceptical about if it was worth it, his advice was cull the lot!  >:(
It took a lot of research on our part to find the right vaccine, which is licensed unusually for goats! It wasn't cheap at £99 for 30 shots but we had to try something.
I was delighted to read an article in BBGS newsletter from another goatkeeper who wrote a very informative piece that while it was a truly awful disease that for the cost involved it was well worth vaccinating for protection and peace of mind.
While there was nothing we could do for Daisy but make her life as comfortable as possible and pray for a quick end, I urge all goatkeepers to inform themselves on the disease and not put themselves through the heartbreak of seeing your 'extended' family suffer.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: totally heartbroken
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 08:31:27 pm »
I am so sorry.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 08:35:03 pm »
thanks Ghdp

I haven't stopped crying since last night but the boys have dug a grave for her in front of the house where she loved to lie in the sunshine and we'll plant some big daisies over her. It doesn't matter how much you prepare yourselves for the end, it still sucks  :'(
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 08:36:59 pm »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 08:39:58 pm »
I really feel for you :hug: [/size]  it must be really terrible to go through and I don't mean to be selfish or hurtful but in your own time would you be able to share your knowledge - I asked about this to SAC last year and the info returned was a little vague - then a lady who wanted a goat from me turned out her's had it - so I am guessing it's about - any snippets of wisdom would be very welcome.[/size]I am very please the rest of your herd is safe x
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 08:48:02 pm »
So sorry for your loss, it's a terrible disease, hugs to you

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:20:32 pm »
I tried to quote Bucklay to fix the small writing but its here :
I really feel for you :hug:  it must be really terrible to go through and I don't mean to be selfish or hurtful but in your own time would you be able to share your knowledge - I asked about this to SAC last year and the info returned was a little vague - then a lady who wanted a goat from me turned out her's had it - so I am guessing it's about - any snippets of wisdom would be very welcome. I am very please the rest of your herd is safe x

As for me : I am so sorry to hear this :hug:

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 09:43:57 pm »
So very sorry to hear this. Its awful losing a pet and to such a horrible disease. Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding vaccines. I will certaily find the time research it.
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 09:51:37 pm »
Sorry for my computer error and thank you Nutterly - big hugs to all our goats x
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 09:55:30 pm »
I tried to quote Bucklay to fix the small writing but its here :
I really feel for you :hug:  it must be really terrible to go through and I don't mean to be selfish or hurtful but in your own time would you be able to share your knowledge - I asked about this to SAC last year and the info returned was a little vague - then a lady who wanted a goat from me turned out her's had it - so I am guessing it's about - any snippets of wisdom would be very welcome. I am very please the rest of your herd is safe x

As for me : I am so sorry to hear this :hug:

I was absolutely would, I have read and researched for hours and days about it for the last year and seen first hand how it can affect your goat and I think it needs to be recognised as a much more widespread disease in not only goats but sheep as the vaccine was originally developed in Australia as it was such a big problem over there.
I totally understand the cost implications of the vaccine, especially on the smaller herds so even if people get together and share a bottle?

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 10:21:10 pm »
Dear Fiesty,

I would be so grateful if you could share your findings and knowledge with us. I absolutely understand that you feel awful at the moment but in time when you feel a wee bit better. Take care and enjoy the good memories you had with your special friend. Yes i agree that some kind of cooperative sharing of the vaccine would be good. I know a fair few lovely goaty folk in my area and I'm sure we could get together and organise something.  :bouquet:
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 10:52:00 pm »
Like everyone else I feel for you  :hug: I had a goat that was diagnosed with it after her demise ,in the 1990's. Showed signs after her first kidding but there was no guaranteed test that I am aware of ,then. She lived loose housed INA covered yard with my remaining herd of, then , some 50 goats so you can imagine my horror when her PM diagnosed johnes. I never had the same problem again with any of my goats in the herd and I lost my final herd members, retired, last December.
I also lost a goat with scrapie, again, lived with all the others, signs developed after kidding and confirmed diagnosis on PM . Don't know if I was just extremely lucky but never saw it again in any of the goats which included her twin sister. Like most things, certainly during my goat breeding days and especially amongst some of the the more recognised breeders,I think that admitting to having had any of these problems was taboo, as I have also found in the past ,with pedigree dog breeders. I feel for your loss but don't loose heart , go chat too the rest of your herd and they will help you feel a bit better  :love:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 10:52:34 pm »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 11:10:40 pm »
So, so sorry, Feisty. Even when you know it's coming it's so hard to lose a much loved animal. RIP Daisy.
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :bouquet:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 11:41:22 pm »
I am so very sorry about Daisy.
An old farmer told me some years ago that he always vaccinated his small herd of cows for Johnes, as in the past it had been in our area - although I had not heard of any cases.
I did ask my vet about vaccines for the goats, but she said it was not necessary, as she had never seen a goat or indeed any animal with this condition.
Well, I have lost two of my lovely ponies in 12 months, to what it is now believed was Johnes
I am still heartbroken, but the vet said it was very very rare and if there was a case, it would more than likely be in cattle.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS