Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Badly pecked chick  (Read 2538 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Badly pecked chick
« on: May 30, 2015, 10:30:13 am »
One of our chicks 5 weeks old has been badly bullied overnight and this morning I found her with bleeding wounds on both wings and her back.  I have removed her with another chick for company but would she be better off on her own whilst she recovers?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Badly pecked chick
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 03:31:50 pm »
No, don't leave it on its own. It'll need its friend when being put back with the rest of the flock.

Did you put purple spray on the wounds?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 03:47:08 pm »
Can you idientify which chick did it?  If so you could try removing it and then putting it back with the others after a day or so, when it should be at the bottom of the pecking order.  Very unusual for pecking order shenanigans in such young chicks, though.  Do they have 24-hour access to chick crumbs?  If not they'll peck at anything when they get hungry and once blood is drawn the red colour it very attractive to them.  If not already under an infra red lamp you could try using one as it makes everything look red.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:43:08 pm »
Cover wounds thickly with sudocrem, this will help heal the wounds and stop the other chicks pecking. It's the red that makes them peck.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 09:32:42 am »
how is this little chick today?
Is it time to retire yet?

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 02:50:23 pm »
She is much better today. I had sprayed with purple spray and she rested with her chum. They are outside in sun at moment but will bring them back in later for more tlc.  Thanks for everyone's helpful comments.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS