Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewes immediately after weaning  (Read 4582 times)

baffledog1

• Joined Jan 2015
Ewes immediately after weaning
« on: May 29, 2015, 03:09:21 pm »
 4 of my ewe hoggs lambed this March. Not planned but a neighbour's tup escaped and a well meaning motorist opened my field gate and he tupped 4 of them(the tup not the motorist). Gave them extra rations and they all lambed really easily, 2 sets of twins and 2 singles. I gave support with extra bottles to the two with twins. Have had them sheared and all looking really well on good grass, too much grass to be honest.

Question is that I have been told it is better for the ewes to wean at between 12-14 weeks to allow the ewes to recover and continue growing. Will be doing this towards end of June.

On weaning due to the excess grass should I put the ewes into a shed/yard with limited food to dry them off and help prevent mastitis. I realise its a month away but at the moment they have a lot of milk.  Any thoughts welcomed.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Ewes immediately after weaning
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 03:11:29 pm »
  a neighbour's tup escaped and a well meaning motorist opened my field gate and he tupped 4 of them(the tup not the motorist).

:roflanim:  :roflanim:
I really needed that chuckle! So thanks  :thumbsup:
Is it time to retire yet?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 03:38:45 pm »
If you want to put your hoggs back to the tup in the autumn, yes I would put them into a yard with only some hay, or maybe even straw (and water of course), until the udders are soft and shrinking, and afterwards  onto not so good grass (to prevent CCN).

Depending on how they look at the end of summer you may want to flush on good grass for a few weeks before tupping. I have found that with the Shetlands that is not necessary, but they are not lambed as hoggs.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 04:43:42 pm »
What's CCN?  The closest Google got me was the Council for Churches in Namibia  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 04:46:18 pm »
What's CCN?  The closest Google got me was the Council for Churches in Namibia  ???

Yes thats it. And you don't want that in your sheep now do you?

TBH I think 12-14 weeks is too late and could likely reduce mature ewe size. 10-12 max would be my preference and then onto straw and water

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:30:50 pm »

Loving this thread! :-)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 05:51:14 pm »
CCN (in sheep country) - Cerebro Cortical Necrosis (the Americans call is Polioencephalitis or something like that). It is a thiamine(vit B)  deficiency often brought on by a sudden change to (usually better) pasture/feed. I have had it in ewes just  after weaning when I put them on good pasture for flushing... and it is usually fatal. I think growing lambs can get it too, but never seen it in lambs.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 07:05:47 pm »
CCN (in sheep country) - Cerebro Cortical Necrosis (the Americans call is Polioencephalitis or something like that). It is a thiamine(vit B)  deficiency often brought on by a sudden change to (usually better) pasture/feed. I have had it in ewes just  after weaning when I put them on good pasture for flushing... and it is usually fatal. I think growing lambs can get it too, but never seen it in lambs.
Well that's a new one on me!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 07:30:59 pm »
Reading the NADIS information on CCN (scroll down the page to find it, the first bit is all about listeriosis), it is predominantly a disease of weaned lambs, 4-8 months old, and responds well to prompt treatment.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:41:18 pm »
OMG! Not another thing sheep will die of  :raining:
I can see this 1st year in sheep being VERY stressful  ::)
Is it time to retire yet?

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 08:43:50 pm »
how long do people leave ewes in the 'drying off pen' for usually?     Mine have been in for three nights so far and I'm feeling sorry for them lol !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS