Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A disaster  (Read 2813 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
A disaster
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:53:58 am »
I thought my kidding days were well and truly over.  But it seems not.  I got to the farm this afternoon, to find one of the goats lodging with us while her owner moves, about to kid.  I was a bit confused, as she was supposedly due mid June, but as she had run out with the billy, I assumed that he had caught her straight away.
Got her in the stable, and she kidded find.  Just a single.  It seemed a bit small, for a GG, but as I had never seen a GG kid, I didn't really know.  Cleaned the kids nose and mouth, rubbed it down with straw as mum did not seem to make a start.  Put it in front of her and she started to wash it.  It was then I noticed that the kid was still lay flat out, and worse its eyes were tightly closed.  Also its little hooves were very soft It had plenty of fur, and  was not skinny, it was well covered..  I have had a lot of goat kids over the years, and have never had one with its eyes shut.
I think I am right in thinking this kid was premature.  It was breathing, but I think its lungs may have been undeveloped.  It did bleat a few times, but only made a half hearted effort to come upright.  The mother licked and licked it, trying to make it stand.  It did not seem to have a sucking reflex.  I milked the mother and tried to get some milk into it.  It was warm enough with all the washing it had.
I felt awful telling the owner that there was nothing I could do for the poor little fella.  To be honest, I was surprised when he lasted 4 hours.  The mother seemed fine when I left her late tonight. I will at least be able to milk her......

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: A disaster
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:25:04 am »
Awww, what a shame but still these things happen and you did your best
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:29:00 am »
What a shame but unfortunately life deals us these wicked blows from time to time. You did your best and thats what counts !
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:22:46 am »
Soo sad to lose a baby!!
I  know that feeling. Well done for doing all you could! :hug:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:08:49 am »
I've no experience of kidding but if it was a lamb by your description it was premature.  Its hard but you could have done no more.  :bouquet:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 11:12:10 am »
Poor little thing and poor you, awful to have to deal with this sort of thing, sounds like little chap didn't have a chance.  :hug:
How long has she been with you? I wonder if upset of moving could have caused it?

Nothing else you could have done, I'm sure the owner will understand, have you told them yet?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 08:30:41 pm »
Sorry you had to experience this. It always seems worse when it's someone else's animals but I'm sure they will know that you did your best for him.  :hug:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:58:36 pm »
Very sad, maybe the stress of moving late in pregnancy. You did your best so don't best yourself up.  :bouquet:

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 10:46:10 pm »
Sorry for the loss - sounds like nature x

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 11:00:35 pm »
Definitely sounds like a prem kid , you can only do your best then nature takes over I'm afraid . :hug:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 12:11:19 am »
Goat had not been moved recently. She has been here with the other two for 6 weeks now.  She seems fine, so I think we have to accept that its just one of those things.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS