Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is this plant  (Read 9793 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: What is this plant
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 07:50:50 pm »
Dunno DL .

To me it's a British knot weed p[lain & simple , have a look in Google images  under the Latin name of Polygonum pensylvanicum there are some good likenesses.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 10:31:32 am »
Could you mean 'redshank' Cloddopper? Wherever there's some from of cultivation there it tends to be (though I confess to being rather partial to the garden cultivar forms of Persicaria). A google search for Persicaria maculosa will find some pics and there's a good link here: http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/weeds/redshank

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 02:49:32 pm »
Just noticed a plant in my garden which looks just like the pic.  I know it's not Rosebay Willowherb, but grows into something like a small, weedy version of that.  It could be called Broad-leaved Willowherb.  As I said before, you'll need to grow some on to be sure, especially with so many possibilities.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 07:38:49 am »
Rosebay willow herb is the the big show-offy one. Common willow herb has a smaller less significant flower head.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 11:51:27 am »
Hi WYF, our RB willow herb is growing like crazy, how about a new picture?

Quote - under the Latin name of Polygonum pensylvanicum

thats american? is it over here then? we don't have anything like that up here, just a small lower growing type. (apart from Japanese knotweed of course  :( )

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 10:59:11 pm »
I didn't realise the thread was still running  .  Alison has been pulling some weeds out the raised beds that mainly contain composted horse muck, coir waste and vermiculite there was plenty of knot weed .

I could have put up some pictures of different stages of my knot weeds growth & also some of the other horse resistant weeds that have come from the same beds .
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:02:39 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS