Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sudden hen death  (Read 2435 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Sudden hen death
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:41:00 pm »
One of our maran hens died overnight/sometime today - I discovered her in the coop this afternoon. It's not unusual not to see them all first thing in the morning they seem to take turns in the coop to lay/sit so I don't tend to disturb the coop until later in the day.
The only thing of note about this hen is that over the last couple of months she became a bit of a loner - she never trundled with the crowd anymore and more often than not was in the other half of the paddock we have as their 'day quarter' to the rest of the flock (cockeral and 5 other hens) She had also not been laying for about 4 months - but eating and drinking ok and no signs of discomfort.
She was only a couple of years old. Quite a large bird and certainly the carcase was not skinny, feathers were nice and shiny.
Bit of a mystery
 ??? :(

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Sudden hen death
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:54:02 pm »
so sorry for this. Ive nothing useful to say , just commiserations  :hug:
Is it time to retire yet?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:33:34 pm »
If no other sign of illness I'd guess at heart problems - probably hasn't been feeling great for a  while then it just gave out last night.
Poor soul.  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:29:46 pm »
No advice, but we had this with one of our hens. No symptoms, no signs just found dead. Very odd!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 03:49:29 pm »
Like most prey animals and birds they rarely show outward signs of being unwell.  As she'd stopped laying there could have been some internal problem such as a tumour. 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 02:15:37 pm »
When I kept ducks one of them escaped a fox attack, but died from a heart attack a few months later, sudden it was. :(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS