Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Leaf problem  (Read 7235 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Leaf problem
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:10:47 pm »
I've heard of peach lead curl but can plums get it. Last year a lot of the leaves on my Victoria plum were curled and it's happened again this year. There was a mass of blossom for the first time this spring so I don't want to lose the fruit but I don't use chemicals.

Any ideas?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Leaf problem
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:07:36 pm »
Silver leaf?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 11:44:38 pm »
No I don't think so. I'll take a photo or two to add.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:30:03 pm »
My red and white currants are curling too, can't see any obvious cause either :-/

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 01:44:23 pm »
Hi Leslie  :wave:

Could be aphids, see the link below...
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=681

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 08:33:31 pm »
Hi Angela. No it's not that. There's no sign of aphids and the leaves are distinctly curled as if they had started to open then stopped.

Dans, I wonder if it's the same thing.

I'll get outside with my camera tomorrow.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 11:07:53 pm »
Well I was about to say that nope definitely not aphids as I checked the leaves very carefully a week or so ago.

More the fool me as looking at them today after I posted and there's a ton of aphids!  :-[ No idea where they were hiding when I last looked. I even rubbed the leaf last time to make sure there was nothing there.

Distinct lack of ladybirds up here so no idea what to do to combat these aphids, might have to turn to the spray.

Hope you have better luck with yours MGM!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 08:06:11 pm »
I spray mine with a teaspoon of washing up liquid to 5ltr water seems to kill off the green/black fly

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 10:12:26 pm »
No aphids on the leaves. I meant to go back out to photograph them but we've been getting ready to take two goats for slaughter tomorrow and now it's too dark.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 10:21:36 pm »
And now every single plum has dropped off.  :rant:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 01:46:46 am »
Just noticed today we have exactly the same thing on our plum trees.  We were wondering if it was cold wind damage to the young soft leaves, from a week or so back.  it looks as if there is new leaf growth at the tips, which is what has happened in some years previously after there's been some vicious wind.  When the leaves shrivel then the tree can't support fruit.

I think maybe the aphids move in after the initial damage has happened, and hide under the crinkled leaves, reproducing horribly quickly.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 10:35:11 pm »
Possibly but the leaves were like it last year as well but no fruit had formed as it is still a young tree. Think I'll send a photo to Garden Organic for advice.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 10:38:50 pm »
I spray mine with a teaspoon of washing up liquid to 5ltr water seems to kill off the green/black fly
Doesn't kill them  :'( - reduces the surface tension on the leaves and they can't hold on, they fall to the ground and die there (or take a helluva long time to climb back up with wet wings  :roflanim:)

I pinched off all the curled tips.  My red/white currants have it and a couple of apple trees, so far my plum is OK, and my blackcurrants. Rasps and goosies are Ok too
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:46:52 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 06:48:56 pm »
Doesn't kill them  :'( - reduces the surface tension on the leaves and they can't hold on, they fall to the ground and die there (or take a helluva long time to climb back up with wet wings  :roflanim:)

I pinched off all the curled tips.  My red/white currants have it and a couple of apple trees, so far my plum is OK, and my blackcurrants. Rasps and goosies are Ok too

it does kill the green fly as after spraying they are all dead stuck to the leaves

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 09:17:07 pm »

it does kill the green fly as after spraying they are all dead stuck to the leaves

I thought it was the surface tension of the pores on the aphids which was reduced, so they can't respirate?   I agree, it does kill them, or at least soapy water does, as long as you soak them thoroughly.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS