Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sweet Chestnut  (Read 1869 times)

nuteski

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Pontardawe
Sweet Chestnut
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:50:08 pm »
Hi all

I'd like to establish a new, productive windbreak at the front of our property so that I can get rid of the Leylandii the previous occupiers established, and am thinking of trying sweet chestnut as the first (large) layer.

Has anyone any experience of sweet chestnut? The area drains well but we're in the bottom of a valley so it does get quite wet and potentially frosty. Time isn't too much of an issue as we can plant them and keep the leylandii until they are established, hopefully they can provide some cover for some other fruiting smaller trees and shrubs to make a decent bump for the wind to get over before it gets to our house and veggies.

All advice welcome from a pair of proper novices :)

Al & Cath

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Sweet Chestnut
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:49:14 am »
I will be looking with interest at any responses as I also fancy growing some. agroforestry Research Trust have a few varieties suitable for the UK so may be worth dropping them an email to ask advice.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 11:40:41 am »
I planted an avenue of sweet chestnut.  Lost quite a few through water logging in wet seasons and drying out in hot summers.  They will even die when quite well established.  I was still loosing the occasional one even after nearly twenty years of growth when the trees were about twenty to thirty foot high.

On the plus side they looked beautiful when they came into leaf.  Lovely delicate flowers and loads of beautiful chestnuts.  Not all the trees were terrifically productive, but the ones where they were happy did well almost every year.  Could have probably collected twenty or thirty buckets full of shelled out chestnuts if I had bothered to beat the squirrels to it.  Good sized fruit as well and they were not a special named variety.

In the autumn they turned a glorious golden yellow.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:01:26 pm »
Loads in my brother's woods down in Norfolk, coppiced forever.  Coppicing may be the way to go, as enormous trees might be as bad as Leylandii.  I don't think they are a particular variety.  They are in an area of woodland sheltered by walls, in a quite dry area, on sandy soil.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

nuteski

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Pontardawe
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »
Thanks, some really useful advice here - I'll definitely check out the research trust and we were looking for coppice anyway for the reasons you mention here.

We don't have squirrels and if nut trees attract them well that's just something else for the pot  :) I am a little concerned about the potential for waterlogging as it can get get very moist around here, think it may very well be worth the risk though.

Cheers all, loving this forum!

Al & Cath

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS