Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from South West Wales.  (Read 8805 times)

Lukey

• Joined May 2015
Hello from South West Wales.
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:33:13 pm »
Hello All,

I currently only 17 years old, and still live at home with my parents, I've got 3.3 acres(two paddocks) of conservation grazing for winter, Which I am permitted to keep two ponies on. Now, I am looking into possibly into getting a further, wait for it..62 acres of conservation land, which is spread across two sites, one 48 acres, which contains 17 acres of good grazing but the rest is fen land and reeds, the other site is 14 acres which is unimproved acid grassland , If I'm honest, It is a little to much for two ponies, as we all know!  :excited:. So I have been looking into sheep, preferably a primitive breed. I am leaning towards soay at the moment, I have always liked the look of them and there ease of care i.e. they don't usually need shearing as they moult, less prone to foot rot and fly-strike etc. But I am prepared to deal(and my parents) with any illness in the sheep, if any occur. They will all receive apocopate vaccines and a like. I would probably just keep them to sell on the lambs, not actually slaughter any myself.
  Both sites have been fenced with stock fencing with a barbed wire strand at the top in recent years, both sites have access to water, the biggest site has many streams and the other site has access to mains water.
Any help and information will be taken greatly fully.

Luke
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:02:27 pm by Lukey »

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Hello from South West Wales.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 08:48:53 am »
Are there restrictions on what breeds may graze there? Soay lambs are worth.... not a lot. Another rare breed?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:18:50 am »
Wow Luke, you sound as if you have already got lots of information and ideas yourself.
I have half a dozen Ryelands but am not in a position to give you any sort advice. I just want to wish you good luck with it.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:09:33 am »
have you thought about Shetlands ... cattle that is?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:27 am »
Welcome Lukey and good luck with what looks like a busy time ahead of you.. Great to see a future farmer blooming.. My step daughter is doing animal management at Usk campus and loving the live stock side of it...  :cow: :sheep:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 11:46:42 am »
Good for you! As BiW says, you might want to think about cattle - there's always a market for excellent beef and Shetlands do produce that  :thumbsup:

I don't think you're in her area (she covers "North") but it might be worth contacting Ruth Dalton at the Rare Breed Survival Trust. She knows a lot about both conservation grazing and Shetland cattle. Ruth Dalton <ruth@rbst.org.uk>

http://www.shetlandcattle.org.uk/conservation-grazing

Lukey

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 11:55:47 am »
Thanks everyone for the responses!  :)

Me- There are no restrictions that I am aware of at the moment, will look into that. I have noticed that Soay don't go for a lot, which did but me off a little bit as they wouldn't pay for them selves as much as other breeds would, The next breed I have been looking into the most after the soay were Hibridean's, are they any better price wise? I would like to have a rare breed that needs to be bred, I did look into Boreray, but couldn't find any for sale apart for 3 rams!

Bionic- In my opinion, Ryelands are one of the cutest breeds out there, especially the coloured Ryelands! They don't seem like they would do that well on the 43 acre site as it is quite wet in places, other wise they would be option for me!

Backinwellies- I have actually looked into cattle, Highland cattle at the most. Never read about the Shetland Cattle, I think I'll start with keeping sheep and then see how the conservation grazing goes and then maybe move on too cattle if I feel confident enough. i.e. Tb testing, etc

Quirkygirl- Thanks for the welcome!  :) I am considering going onto a college course which would help me along the way, as I need to learn as much as my brain can take! It would benefit me I know that. :)

Rosemary- Thank you! :) I don't think I am confident enough yet to work with cattle, yet there again, I work with 3 large young cobs, which are a nightmare, so I suppose I could manage, what worries me is that I don't have anything indoors, which with Cattle, I think I need, If a sheep fell ill or I had an orphan yard I got a close family friend who a livery yard in gower which I could keep a ill sheep, not so much cows though. Do you reckon I'd need an indoor space? Thanks for providing with her e-mail, I have seen her name pop up else about conservation as well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:58:15 am by Lukey »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 01:22:31 pm »
Where are you Lukey?   I live in Talley (north of Llandeilo)  and have Llanwenog sheep and Shetland cattle (which are outdoors all year )  if you want to come and have a look.
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Lukey

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 02:38:31 pm »
Where are you Lukey?   I live in Talley (north of Llandeilo)  and have Llanwenog sheep and Shetland cattle (which are outdoors all year )  if you want to come and have a look.

I live in Llanelli, so not that far away, Thanks for the offer! Been looking at Shetland cattle and them see like the way to go If I decided to keep Cattle.

Luke

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »
Look on the Rare Breeds Survival Trust website and see what takes your fancy :) And welcome to the forum, of course :wave:

Lukey

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 04:38:35 pm »
Look on the Rare Breeds Survival Trust website and see what takes your fancy :) And welcome to the forum, of course :wave:

That's what I have been doing so far, only the Heb's and Soay appeal to me in the sheep department!  :) Think I may look across other livestock as well! :) Thanks for the welcome! :)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 07:41:50 pm »
can't really offer much advice TBH but I would be wary of soay unless all the land is exceptionally well fenced - from what I've heard soay are hard to contain.

If it were me I'd lean towards Shetland (sheep) as I've had them before. I'm still thinking of shetland cattle myself (but only a couple) but haven't yet plucked up the courage.

Oh, and welcome from Cwmduad (north of carmarthen)  :wave:

marcus

Lukey

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 08:07:43 pm »
can't really offer much advice TBH but I would be wary of soay unless all the land is exceptionally well fenced - from what I've heard soay are hard to contain.

If it were me I'd lean towards Shetland (sheep) as I've had them before. I'm still thinking of shetland cattle myself (but only a couple) but haven't yet plucked up the courage.

Oh, and welcome from Cwmduad (north of carmarthen)  :wave:

marcus

I have heard that they are hard to contain, and I visited the largest site today,(47 Acres), It has about 25 metres of barbed wire fencing!
 :(
buttttt there is many rolls of stock fencing on site, so could fence it with that if allowed.

I have looked into Shetland sheep as they seem a hardy breed, and they come in vary of colours, They would go well with Shetland cows as well!

Never heard of Cwmduad before! Thanks for the warm welcome  :)

Lukey

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 07:53:45 pm »
Doesn't look  to promising about the grazing , not good! not giving up hope yet!

Luke

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 08:54:03 pm »
 :fc:
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS