Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and ponies  (Read 5566 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Pigs and ponies
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:07:19 pm »
Anyone got any advice/anecdotes on keeping horses and pigs near each other?

I'm looking to get a couple of weaners and also have a new forest pony and some sheep. If the pig enclosure was next to the pony enclosure ( he's on restricted grazing) would this be a problem? I've heard horses hate pigs but have no experience.

Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
Re: Pigs and ponies
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 02:55:22 pm »
No problems here - and that's a stallion in the picture.  I've got pigs living in stables next door to horses too and no bother at all.

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 03:01:14 pm »
Hello,

I have breeding pigs and young stock as well as horses.

There have been escapee pigs who have got into the paddock and caused havoc. You need to watch out for this as mine got a good kicking and still didn't really get the hint so I worry what might have happened had I not been there to wrangle them. I do however have a completely free range Shetland who wanders everywhere including up to the pig pens and she seems to quite like them (although obviously she gives their electric a wide birth). All my horses are used to pigs so if they are kept securely it is not an issue to have both. I've heard tales of horses freaking out at the smell but tbh they get used to it like we all do!

I would be very careful of sheep next to pigs, although I'm sure someone will jump in and say they do it and its fine. Pigs don't really have any perception of other animals emotions/ reactions, they cant read them, so if a sheep sticks its head through a fence it will probably get bitten. I am always very cautious with dogs and what not when I am not there with them.  If they cant physically get to each other then I imagine its fine.

Someone with more sheep experience will hopefully give you a better answer on that front.

If you're fencing is good you should have no problems  :thumbsup:

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 04:18:07 pm »
The only people that can answer this are your pigs and ponies ,I see them living together harmoniously,less harmonious and a down right pain ,all will be different .

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »
My pigs, poultry, sheep and dogs intermingle all day, every day and have done for the last seven or eight years and I haven't had a mishap (yet!)
A neighbour complained that her horse was terrified of the pigs each time she rode past my gate but when living in adjoining fields soon got used to them.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 04:41:27 pm »
I agree that it all depends, but I also agree from my own  experience that pigs don't have a good sense of others' - they are just blissfully curious!
I have sheep, donkeys and currently two weaners all on the same field, but the weaners are in an electric fence pen that they respect, and this works very well for all involved.
But on one occasion when I moved the pen on, the piggies were running loose for a very short time, and went straight up the donkeys nose, repeatedly... which the donkeys didn't appreciate at all, and they started chasing them around rather aggressively.
Taught me a lesson - I now move the donkeys to the garden or shut them in temporarily when I have to move the pigs. Also the donkeys are now restricted to their own summer grazing track by electric fence line, so should the piggies escape unnoticed they can get out of the donkeys' way.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 07:34:14 pm »
My shetlands adore my pigs (pigs bigger than ponies!).

I have a system for introducing new/visiting ponies to pigs.

1) Put pony into large paddock next to pig orchard.  Plentry of room for ponies to keep well away until they feel safe.

2) Feed pony at same time as pigs morning and night, just molasses free chaff if pony doesn't need feeding.  Always feed pigs right by gate.

3) At each feed, move pony's bucket closer to pigs' gate.

4) By about day 4 or 5, pony eating very happily right next to pig.

Notasausage

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 09:06:33 pm »
I have ridden two horses who were utterly terrified of pigs but now have 3 pigs in a pen near the road in a very horsy area and have never seen a any of the horses that ride past spook at the pigs. Introduce them sensibly and I'm sure all will be fine.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:19:16 pm »
anxious horse owners make anxious horses.

Always exceptions (so there will be cases where the horses are scared) , but generally if you treat the pigs as normal so will then horses.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 07:56:41 am »
Thanks all, just the experience I was looking for  :thumbsup:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:27:33 pm »
Never had a problem, they have a chat through the fence every morning.

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 12:11:27 pm »
I've done this for the first time this yr, the horses was not impressed for a week or so and kept their distance but they soon got over it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS